Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > disk defrag

disk defrag

Michael M

I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.

Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "

Thanks,

Michael

hummerdog

The answer is Yes. Clean out Cookie folder, and Temp Internet
Folder. Restart computer in `Safe` mode, then defrag.
best wishes..J

"Michael M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MSEpe.73044$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
>
> Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
>

> Thanks,
>

> Michael

calyth

Even though NTFS is an improvement over FAT, it's still not very smar
at putting files in contiguous blocks. I've seen defrag report that th
HD has plenty of space left, yet it requires a good defrag.
So the short answer is yes

--
calyt

calyth's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=280
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181907947

Old Gringo

Michael M wrote:
> I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
>
> Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
>

> Thanks,
>

> Michael

Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Buffalo

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jrFpe.1812$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.
>
> --
> Old Gringo George
> Magic Weaver Of Life
> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
> Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is under 20%,
have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
I don't think you will.
But then again????

Old Gringo

Buffalo wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jrFpe.1812$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>Yes and should be done frequently depending on use.
>>
>>--
>>Old Gringo George
>>Magic Weaver Of Life
>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

> If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is under 20%,
> have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
> I don't think you will.
> But then again????

It's nothing but PM to me. I like keeping things up to snuff.

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

What's in a Name?

Michael M wrote:
> I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
> Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "
> Thanks, Michael

Seems to me that you need some basic instruction on how to maintain
your system.
Things to do every week.
1.Clean out those temp files-CrapCleaner is a good tool for this.
2.Clear out My Documents.
3.Run chkdsk
4.Run defrag
5.Run a full system scan using your Anti-Virus program.
I have more info on my pages.
-max

Plato

Michael M wrote:

> I have win xp home. The computer is 2 years old.
> Does it do any good to run " disk defrag "

After 2 years, yes, it will do good. You should see an improvement in
speed afterwards. Delete all your Internet cache and temp files before
you defrag tho. No need to spend hours moving them around as they may
account for 60% of the total number of files on your hard drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

calyth

Buffalo Wrote:[color=blue]
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jrFpe.1812$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> If you are running a 2GHz or faster cpu and your fragmentation is unde
> 20%,
> have you ever noticed a difference in speed after defragging?
> I don't think you will.
> But then again????

There are many reasons to do so.
When files are in contiguous blocks, it means that it would likely li
on the same track (or very nearby track). Modern drives actually rea
the same track (or cylinder, I forgot which) when you request to read
block. For sake of simplicity, let's say the file resides on the sam
track. So accessing the file would require a seek to the right track
and one full rotation.
Now imagine your file being poorly fragmented - suppose that all block
are interleaved in such a way that accessing block n+1 from block n o
the file requires a rotation (HD access time is mostly dominated by th
speed of the rotation). Again for the sake of simplicity, reading al
blocks of that file would likely mean a seek, and partial rotation pe
block (I'm not being accurate here).
Even your 2GHz computer would mean nothing if it's sitting aroun
trying to read all over the place for all the files it needs, such a
unless very full and creates/deletes lots of files, shouldn't be 20
fragmented. A typical percentage of fragmentation on a linux fil
system is less than 5% that I've seen

--
calyt

calyth's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=280
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181907947

Michael M

Thanks to all of you who gave me the info I needed.

Michael

newsWEpe.239754$(E-Mail Removed). uk...