Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password prompt query

Password prompt query

Paul Burdett

Hello,
Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and one
new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was 98SE
before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one shuts
down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this is a
known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by going
into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or off"
and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem, but
when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a password.
Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is there
a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy, but I
can't figure it out in xp pro and my internet reading comes up with a
variety of ways including registry edits, and i don't want to fool around
with that.
Thanks in advance,
Paul

Paul Burdett

"Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42a37395$0$16857$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hello,
> Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and one
> new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

98SE
> before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

shuts
> down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
> shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this is

> known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by going
> into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

off"
> and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem, but
> when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a password.
> Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

there
> a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy, but

> can't figure it out in xp pro and my internet reading comes up with a
> variety of ways including registry edits, and i don't want to fool around
> with that.
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

P.S. Sorry...i should mention that this "hanging' only happens sometimes.

Emrys Davies

"Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42a37395$0$16857$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hello,
> Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and

one
> new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

98SE
> before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

shuts
> down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
> shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this

is a
> known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by

going
> into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

off"
> and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem,

but
> when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a

password.
> Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

there
> a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy,

Can you explain how it is easy in Win98 SE as I very occasionally get
asked for a user name and password when I bootup and I would like to get
rid of it.

but I
> can't figure it out in xp pro and my internet reading comes up with a
> variety of ways including registry edits, and i don't want to fool

around
> with that.
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Toolman Tim

"Emrys Davies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul Burdett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42a37395$0$16857$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> Hello,
>> Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and

> one
>> new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

> 98SE
>> before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

> shuts
>> down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
>> shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this

> is a
>> known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by

> going
>> into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

> off"
>> and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem,

> but
>> when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a

> password.
>> Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

> there
>> a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy,

> Can you explain how it is easy in Win98 SE as I very occasionally get
> asked for a user name and password when I bootup and I would like to get
> rid of it.

If you are not networked, go to network properties and remove Microsoft
Networking Client and Microsoft Family Logon (terms may not be exact - I am
after all not as young as I once was <g>).