Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HCF modem region select?

HCF modem region select?

WCH

I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
country/region choices.
Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
one to work.
WC

Old Gringo

WCH wrote:
> I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
> some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
> number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
> to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
> I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
> Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
> countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
> choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
> Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
> prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
> country/region choices.
> Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
> one to work.
> WC

You may want to read this, making sure you have the correct drivers
for Win98se. Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Old Gringo

WCH wrote:
> I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
> some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
> number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
> to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
> I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
> Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
> countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
> choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
> Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
> prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
> country/region choices.
> Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
> one to work.
> WC

old fart forgot the link
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/hcf7.asp

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Shepİ

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:39:35 -0400 If I have seen farther it is
because I have stood on the shoulder of giants WCH
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
>some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
>number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
>to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
>I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
>Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
>countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
>choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
>Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
>prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
>country/region choices.
>Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
>one to work.
>WC

HCF modems were not a,"Win Modem" nor a fully software modem.
Anyway.

Download a couple of free good reg cleaners,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

and get the right drivers for the modem,
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/rockhcf.asp

1:System off.
2ull modem out.
3:Re-boot to Safemode
4:Control panel/Add remove programs and remove any Modem/HCF software.
Whilst in Safemode go to the Device Mangler and remove all instances
of the modem including any virtual modem devices like Enumerators.
5:Re-boot to normal windows and run the reg cleaners.

Read here as well,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

--
Free Windows/PC help,