Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't find A: drive

Can't find A: drive

kris a

I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

--
Christopher Ayers

Mara

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
>computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller ribbon loose
from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in. Then reboot and see if
the drive is recognised. (And if the light goes out unless the drive is
accessing an actual disk.)

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Jimbo

Quite often, it is on the front just below the cd/dvd drive...
If you still can't find it, get back to us and I'll lend you my spectacles.

"kris a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Wm4oe.17088$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
>computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?
>

> --
> Christopher Ayers
> (E-Mail Removed)

clot

Mara wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
>> computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

> If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
> ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
> Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
> goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

Blinky the Shark

clot wrote:

> Mara wrote:

>> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:57:10 GMT, "kris a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I recently had a computer built. Well I can't find my A: drive on my
>>> computer but the light is on? Can anyone help?

>> If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
>> ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
>> Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
>> goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

Same here. Those were the days.

Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Mistoffolees

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> clot wrote:
>

>>Mara wrote:

>>>If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
>>>ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
>>>Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
>>>goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

>> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

> Same here. Those were the days.
>
> Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon?

Well...most of the time, the red striping indicates the
location for the No. 1 pin in the header. Usually, it is
also the side of the header nearest the power plug on the
drive. Yup...those were the good old days.

old jon

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> clot wrote:
>
>> Mara wrote:

>>> If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
>>> ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
>>> Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
>>> goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

>> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

> Same here. Those were the days.
>
> Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon?

And the twist in the ribbon cable to the end plug. Oh those were the days..

> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
> Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
> *ALSO contains links for access to the NON-BETA GG archive interface*

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> clot wrote:
>

>>Mara wrote:

>>>If the light is on all the time, open the case, take the controller
>>>ribbon loose from the drive, turn the end over and plug it back in.
>>>Then reboot and see if the drive is recognised. (And if the light
>>>goes out unless the drive is accessing an actual disk.)

>> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

> Same here. Those were the days.
>
> Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon?

What, the one that marks pin 1?

Blinky the Shark

Brian H wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> clot wrote:

>>> You beat me to it, Mara. I'm sure that's the issue - I've been there!

>> Same here. Those were the days.

>> Who wants to explain about the red-coded conductor on that ribbon?

> What, the one that marks pin 1?

That one. I've also seen ribbons where it's got little hash marks
across the #1 conductor, rather than it being red or pinkish.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263