Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD drive can't read correctly

DVD drive can't read correctly

WCH

My PIII has a CD writer drive and a DVD reader drive. Starting a few
days ago, the DVD reader stopped being able to recognize "commercial"
DVDs (like from Blockbuster), but if I put in a DVD-R a friend made
it'll read that fine. At first I thought it was software, but if I use
Windows Explorer to read the drive, when there's a commercial DVD in
there it says something like "no media in drive" or some such,
indicating that it doesn't recognize the media, and when there's a DVD-R
in the drive it reads it fine. I tried several commercial DVDs, and
several DVD-Rs, to confirm the pattern.

What would cause this? Is this some kind of drive failure? Is it some
"lock-out" of commercial DVDs? I haven't installed any new software.
I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, all updated. 512MB RAM. I'm virus-free.
The machine is fine in all other ways, no hardware shows error
messages in Device Manager. What's up here?
WC

Rick Merrill

WCH wrote:
> My PIII has a CD writer drive and a DVD reader drive. Starting a few
> days ago, the DVD reader stopped being able to recognize "commercial"
> DVDs (like from Blockbuster), but if I put in a DVD-R a friend made
> it'll read that fine. At first I thought it was software, but if I use
> Windows Explorer to read the drive, when there's a commercial DVD in
> there it says something like "no media in drive" or some such,
> indicating that it doesn't recognize the media, and when there's a DVD-R
> in the drive it reads it fine. I tried several commercial DVDs, and
> several DVD-Rs, to confirm the pattern.
>
> What would cause this? Is this some kind of drive failure? Is it some
> "lock-out" of commercial DVDs? I haven't installed any new software.
> I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, all updated. 512MB RAM. I'm virus-free.
> The machine is fine in all other ways, no hardware shows error messages
> in Device Manager. What's up here?
> WC

My guess is head alignment margins, not software. Blockbuster DVD's are
probably -e and your reader and your friend's DVD are +e,
(where 'e' stands for a small error). Have you tried cleaning the optics?