Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > a problem with new video card

a problem with new video card

Jerry

I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a new
ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old card
and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which my
Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
exchange.

Thomson Tim

Jerry wrote:

> I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
> message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
> installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a new
> ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
> quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old card
> and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
> e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
> ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which my
> Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
> something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
> exchange.

Install Gart drivers for your AGP slot first. You might have to put your old
video card in first. Read your mother board manual "Gart"

Jerry

Thanks for getting back to me. I read the manual and did not see any
reference to Gart drivers. The AGP drivers installed now are Intel. A visit
to the Gigabyte site indicates there are no new Intel AGP drivers. Are Gart
drivers different from Intel AGP drivers?

The new ATI 9600 manual "seems" to indicate I should have Intel AGP drivers
installed, however, I would suggest the manual was written by someone who
uses a lot of negatives, so I'm not sure.

"Thomson Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Jerry wrote:
>
>> I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
>> message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
>> installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a
>> new
>> ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
>> quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old
>> card
>> and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
>> e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
>> ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which
>> my
>> Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
>> something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
>> exchange.

> Install Gart drivers for your AGP slot first. You might have to put your
> old
> video card in first. Read your mother board manual "Gart"

gangle

"Jerry" wrote
> I'm using an ATI AIW 7500 and I keep getting a blue screen of death and
> message problem with device driver or hardware problem. I dnloaded and
> installed latest ATI drives I could find and it did not help. Bought a new
> ATI AIW 9600 and after installation and I turned on PC I get two or three
> quick beeps [I know that is bad, and a blank CRT screen]. Installed old card
> and booted normal. Old card will run some what [so I can at least read
> e-mail without crash but no videos etc.] on WinXP default drivers but not
> ATI drivers. New card is 8X AGP but box says it will run on 4X AGP which my
> Gigabyte MoBo supports. Is it possible I just got a bad card or is there
> something else I should do before I argue with Best Buy on a return and
> exchange.

The simple truth is that ATI's drivers often do not work fully or
even cause blue screen problems like you are having. So, if the
problem is NOT ATI driver and/or hardware related, it is going to
take a miracle for you to stumble onto the real cause.