Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Safe to delete?

Safe to delete?

Iona Bond

Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
of alpha-numeric characters.

Maria

Iona Bond wrote:

> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
> of alpha-numeric characters.

What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? )

How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
No way of answering your question without their names.
Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
Maria

Iona Bond

On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Iona Bond wrote:
>
>> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
>> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
>> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
>> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
>> of alpha-numeric characters.

>What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? )
>
>How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
>No way of answering your question without their names.
>Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
>Maria

Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Toolman Tim

"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Iona Bond wrote:
>>
>>> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
>>> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
>>> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
>>> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
>>> of alpha-numeric characters.

>>What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? )
>>
>>How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
>>No way of answering your question without their names.
>>Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
>>Maria
>>

> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
> and see what happens.

Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.

Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
Step 2. Select "Rename"
Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

WormWood

"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have in c:\windows\software distribution\downloads
> a fair number of files that seem to have been there for some time.
> Are these leftovers from downloads, unnecessary and safe to delete?
> Or is there some way of identifying them - they seem to be a mess
> of alpha-numeric characters.

Don't delete unless you know exactly what you are doing.. The files you
describe refer to Windows Updates. Some other sub-folders are relative
to other MS and other programs that have been downloaded, ex: WMP. AVP,
etc. One folder contains registry keys which you DON'T want to click on.

Iona Bond

On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 29 May 2005 00:50:04 +0200, Maria <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>What do they say - my taxes? my pensionscheme? )
>>>
>>>How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
>>>No way of answering your question without their names.
>>>Rightclick them, change name, copy/paste into post.
>>>Maria
>>>

>> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
>> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
>> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
>> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
>> and see what happens.
>>

>Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
>
>Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
>Step 2. Select "Rename"
>Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
>Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
>Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

Just cleaned my glasses

a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

Toolman Tim

"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
>>> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
>>> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
>>> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the nmes
>>> and see what happens.
>>>

>>Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
>>
>>Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
>>Step 2. Select "Rename"
>>Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
>>Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
>>Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

> Just cleaned my glasses
>

> a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
> a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
> 833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
> 34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
> 8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

Yup! I recognize that stuff...

Those are folders used for updates - if you do delete them, then you will be
unable to uninstall the updates that Windows Updates has put on your
computer. So the question is: how much do you trust Microsoft? <g>
Personally, I'd leave them there.

If you're getting really cramped for hard drive space, then maybe consider
doing some clean up there, but try this first: Open "My Computer", right
click on the drive and select "Properties". On the "General" tab, click
"Disk cleanup". (That won't remove those uninstall folders, but if you
manually remove them, then you have stuff left in your registry that points
to things that aren't there anymore.)

Fred

Toolman Tim wrote:

>>> How large are they anyway? MB? GB?
>>> No way of answering your question without their names.
>>> Rightclick them, *change name*, copy/paste into post.
>>> Maria
>>>

>> Sorry - you're tight. Here are 5 files varying in size - 3.78KB
>> to 3.08MB There are also 18 folders with greatly varying content.
>> And because they are merely alpha numeric with no text, I can
>> apparently not copy and paste. Good thought, tho - change the
>> nmes and see what happens.
>>

> Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.

Really? Why don't you read what you quoted above?

Iona Bond

On Sat, 28 May 2005 17:19:11 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 28 May 2005 16:42:46 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"Iona Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Didn't read too good, did you? No one said to change the names.
>>>
>>>Step 1. Right-click on one of the alpha-numeric names.
>>>Step 2. Select "Rename"
>>>Step 3. While the name is highlighted for editing, press "Ctrl-C" (copy)
>>>Step 4. Paste the name into your reply to this post.
>>>Step 5. Repeat until you have several for people to look at.

>> Just cleaned my glasses
>>

>> a79bcfc22f1d4c15ae4840c3d535bd203a0a7506
>> a47bfcddd919d509c45b3bf0355ab98107aa0157
>> 833a50c3b47293a5c1ee008545df2c8c7efc310c
>> 34d822e0c61e0d8067f37ec0ed66a15343e1a58f
>> 8e5e7d37c22f5e13e863092a67157a9f4c660886

>Yup! I recognize that stuff...
>
>Those are folders used for updates - if you do delete them, then you will be
>unable to uninstall the updates that Windows Updates has put on your
>computer. So the question is: how much do you trust Microsoft? <g>
>Personally, I'd leave them there.
>
>If you're getting really cramped for hard drive space, then maybe consider
>doing some clean up there, but try this first: Open "My Computer", right
>click on the drive and select "Properties". On the "General" tab, click
>"Disk cleanup". (That won't remove those uninstall folders, but if you
>manually remove them, then you have stuff left in your registry that points
>to things that aren't there anymore.)

Tim - thanks for that - and I think that Wormwood said basically the
same thing - "Leave 'em alone"

And thanks for that, too, Wormwood

WormWood

YW.....