Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hiding identity on OE?

Hiding identity on OE?

cd69

Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I look under
properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in replies from
some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make sure my name isn't
visible?Thanks for your help!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

cd69 wrote:
> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I look under
> properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in replies from
> some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make sure my name isn't
> visible?Thanks for your help!

Change it in settings.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, cd69 mused:

| Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
| look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
| showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
| do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

If they have your name associated with your email address in *their*
address book, there is nothing you can do. Everytime they use your
address, their software will stamp your name with it.

cd69

No,this is random.I received a few e-mails from different people and saw my
name in the text next to my nic.I don't see it in all e-mail headers but
seen it in a few and in some cases they didn't know my name.
"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailS*PM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, cd69 mused:
> |
> | Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
> | look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
> | showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
> | do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!
>
> If they have your name associated with your email address in *their*
> address book, there is nothing you can do. Everytime they use your
> address, their software will stamp your name with it.

cd69

Will try that but I was under the impression I had taken care of this
already.Thanks all for the info!
"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:So_le.646$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cd69 wrote:
>> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I look
>> under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in
>> replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make
>> sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

> Change it in settings.

cd69

Where do you find Settings in OE?Do you mean in properties?If so,I haven't
seen my name showing anywhere yet.Thanks!
"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:So_le.646$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cd69 wrote:
>> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I look
>> under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is showing in
>> replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to do to make
>> sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

> Change it in settings.

Mike Easter

cd69 wrote:
> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
> look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
> showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
> do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.

You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you send
that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab [select
appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address section --
does or does not contain address1?

When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or, are
you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good email
addy?

And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of whether
you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to be dealt
with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've described
above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.

--
Mike Easter

cd69

Hi Mike!Sorry for the confusion!I have entered my handle,ie cd69 everywhere
in the account info.My real name doesn't appear anywhere.But lately,I have
received a few replies to e-mails I sent and saw my name next to my handle
in the headers.I hope this clears what I meant.Thanks!
news:4298e745$0$37514$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> cd69 wrote:
>> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
>> look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
>> showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
>> do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

> I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.
>
> You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you send
> that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab [select
> appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address section --
> does or does not contain address1?
>
> When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
> address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
> putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or, are
> you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good email
> addy?
>
> And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of whether
> you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to be dealt
> with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've described
> above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

cd69 wrote:
> Hi Mike!Sorry for the confusion!I have entered my handle,ie cd69
> everywhere in the account info.

'Everywhere in the account info' goes a handle cd69 you say. To me,
that means one place where the account sez 'Name' you would put cd69,
but then down below there where it sez 'Email address' you would put
your correct email address without any NOSPAM mungeing. Or, I suppose
you /could/ leave/configure NOSPAM mungeing also in your mail account,
but that would be all the more reason for a respondent to behave as
described below.

> My real name doesn't appear
> anywhere.But lately,I have received a few replies to e-mails I sent
> and saw my name next to my handle in the headers.

If I get an email from my friend Clyde Barrow who is in my addressbook
and who is calling himself cd69 in his email's From header and I reply
to him, the 'automation' puts his configured nym/handle in the To. But,
if I've configured /my/ entry of him and his nym/handle/name in my
addressbook as Clyde Barrow and I prefer to email/ reply to/ him like
that, then during my editing of my reply I can click on the 'automated'
To, remove the one that was automatically put there, and click the one I
like/know into its place.

Then, even tho' he emailed me as cd69, my mail to him would come back to
him addressed in the To as Clyde Barrow.

I most certainly would replace his From/To with my own To if he had
obfuscated his From with NOSPAM so I wouldn't have to edit his NOSPAM
mungeing out.

> I hope this clears
> what I meant.Thanks!

I still feel like I'm guessing.

--
Mike Easter

ellis_jay

Mike Easter wrote:
> cd69 wrote:
>> Hi there!Why is it that even if I'm using a different name when I
>> look under properties for Outlook Express,I see my real name is
>> showing in replies from some people I have e-mailed.What do I need to
>> do to make sure my name isn't visible?Thanks for your help!

> I don't understand what you are trying to describe here.
>
> You email someone. Are you saying that the account from which you
> send that email, if examined under OE/ Tools/ Accounts/ Mail tab
> [select appropriate mail account] - Properties button/ Email address
> section -- does or does not contain address1?
>
> When you say /I'm using/ 'a different name' -- which we will call
> address2 -- what does 'I'm using' mean? Where is it that you are
> putting address2 compared to what I'm describing for address1? Or,
> are you talking about putting a 'nym' or handle in /front of/ a good
> email addy?
>
> And another thing. Depending upon the provider, the business of
> whether you can use the smtp server without logging in or not has to
> be dealt with, so then there's the issue of whether the address1 I've
> described above is the same as what you are smtp logging with.

He wants to be a spammer.

Ellis_jay