Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linux Installation (Fedora Core 3)

Linux Installation (Fedora Core 3)

Churchill, Dave

I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for
installation. I planned touse the "parted" utility on the Linux Fedora Core
3 distro to alter the partition on my 2nd h.d. to which to install FC3, and
boot loader which comes with the distro to toggle at boot-up between WinXP
or FC3.

However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD
iso images". It is something very specific you do in Nero, and have done
this exact same thing before with no problem, though I was making the CDs
for use on a different PC.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Churchill, Dave wrote:
> I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
> plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for
> installation. I planned touse the "parted" utility on the Linux Fedora Core
> 3 distro to alter the partition on my 2nd h.d. to which to install FC3, and
> boot loader which comes with the distro to toggle at boot-up between WinXP
> or FC3.
>
> However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
> either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
> recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
> in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
> valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD
> iso images". It is something very specific you do in Nero, and have done
> this exact same thing before with no problem, though I was making the CDs
> for use on a different PC.

You burn the ISO's to disk (CD) using Nero. The first disk is bootable
and asks to install FC3. That's the way it works.

Churchill, Dave

"Churchill, Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

The problem is, though, that the PC did not recognize the first installation disk. That is the problem. I installed FC1 and FC2 before (different PC), and did not see this problem.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Churchill, Dave wrote:
> "Churchill, Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> The problem is, though, that the PC did not recognize the first installation disk. That is the problem. I installed FC1 and FC2 before (different PC), and did not see this problem.

Sounds like a corrupted ISO/CDR.

Parko

Churchill, Dave wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

> Any ideas on what is going on here?

1). You did verify the MD5sums, didn't you?
2). Burn the iso images at a low speed using high quality media. CDBurnerXP
Pro offers more control over the process than Nero if you're using Windows.

http://tinyurl.com/5q5zk
http://tinyurl.com/df4g8

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

why?

On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:

>I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
>plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

<snip>

>However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
>either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
>recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
>in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
>valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
checking these.

http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html

<snip>

Me

Churchill, Dave

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:
>
>>I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
>>plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

> <snip>
>
>>However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
>>either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
>>recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
>>in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
>>valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

> As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
> checking these.
>
> http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html
>
> <snip>
>
> Me

I will go back to Fedora page and see what is the check-sum for each of the
downloaded files and check them using the Nero app.

However, I discovered this morning based on a suggestion from a friend, that
if you burn in Nero a "CD-ROM ISO", you don't seem to get such an animail.
There is also a "UDF/ISO CD-ROM" choice in the Nero v6 burning wizard, but
haven't tried that yet. My friend suggested to use another package, which
for personal use is free - Deep Burner (free) - so I downloaded that and
burned another copy of the ISO image for the Fedora Core 3 rescue disk - and
the machine booted off that disk the first try. Everything else was equal,
same CD-R media, same burner, etc., so either Nero v6 has a defect or I
wasn't using it properly.

So, thanks for all the help. I at least have a short-term path forward now.

why?

On Sat, 28 May 2005 07:19:16 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:

>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 19:54:13 -0600, Churchill, Dave wrote:
>>
>>>I have downloaded the 4 iso images for CD ROM of subject operating system,
>>>plus the rescue disk. I have prepared enough space on my 2nd h.d. for

>> <snip>
>>
>>>However, I did not get far this evening because my PC would not recognize
>>>either the first CD of the installation set as a bootable CD, nor would it
>>>recognize the rescue CD as a bootable CD. I turned of all boot-up options
>>>in my machine's BIOS except for "boot from CD." I am pretty sure I've got
>>>valid iso images because I burned CDs specifically asking Nero v6 for "CD

>> As mentioned earlier about the MD5 sums , Nero also have a GUI app for
>> checking these.
>>
>> http://www.nero.com/eng/Nero_MD5_Verifier.html
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Me
>>

>I will go back to Fedora page and see what is the check-sum for each of the
>downloaded files and check them using the Nero app.
>
>However, I discovered this morning based on a suggestion from a friend, that
>if you burn in Nero a "CD-ROM ISO", you don't seem to get such an animail.

I usually just use the burn from image option (for .ISO files) , not
picking any of the ISO/UDF types. Maybe you burnt the ISO as a file to
the disk as is.

Never had a problem doing that with Nero 5/6.

>There is also a "UDF/ISO CD-ROM" choice in the Nero v6 burning wizard, but
>haven't tried that yet. My friend suggested to use another package, which
>for personal use is free - Deep Burner (free) - so I downloaded that and
>burned another copy of the ISO image for the Fedora Core 3 rescue disk - and
>the machine booted off that disk the first try. Everything else was equal,
>same CD-R media, same burner, etc., so either Nero v6 has a defect or I
>wasn't using it properly.

Use
Recorder / Burn Image / select ISO file.
and not
File / New (New Compliation) / CD/DVD / selecting the type.

>So, thanks for all the help. I at least have a short-term path forward now.

YW.

Me