Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98?

What percentage of the PC using population use Windows 98?

joevan

On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:25:51 GMT, Old Gringo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:39:58 GMT, Old Gringo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Not sure about what will work on Win95 anymore but I know I am
>>>running out of choices. Going to try and make it another year until
>>>Longhorn comes out.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Old Gringo George
>>>Magic Weaver Of Life
>>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

>> If you lived a bit closer to Phila. I could give you my beta Longhorn
>> disk. Once set up it expires in 180 days but you could check it out in
>> that time. LOL
>> I guess that is kind of useless, but I mean what worth much is Msoft
>> going to give away?

>Wow, I had no idea they were that close. What do you think of it?

I haven't used it yet.
I'm waiting until I get a second machine. I could set it up on this
one but my xp works so well I will wait. Then I will set it up and
when it stops put in xp.

and for the same reason."

Old Gringo

joevan wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 13:25:51 GMT, Old Gringo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>joevan wrote:

>>>If you lived a bit closer to Phila. I could give you my beta Longhorn
>>>disk. Once set up it expires in 180 days but you could check it out in
>>>that time. LOL
>>>I guess that is kind of useless, but I mean what worth much is Msoft
>>>going to give away?

>>Wow, I had no idea they were that close. What do you think of it?

> I haven't used it yet.
> I'm waiting until I get a second machine. I could set it up on this
> one but my xp works so well I will wait. Then I will set it up and
> when it stops put in xp.

Thats Cool. Thanks

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Ron Martell

"News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>
>Any thoughts?

According to the site stats for MVP Jim Eshelman's Windows Support
Center (http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm) 8% of the visits to his site
in April were from people using Windows 98. Windows Me was 3%,
Windows 95 was 1%, and Windows XP was 72%.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Old Gringo

Ron Martell wrote:
> "News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I just
>>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>

> According to the site stats for MVP Jim Eshelman's Windows Support
> Center (http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm) 8% of the visits to his site
> in April were from people using Windows 98. Windows Me was 3%,
> Windows 95 was 1%, and Windows XP was 72%.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Hi Ron, I took a look at the link you supplied and was wondering
weather or not the Percentages said more about the OS or the
Operator? My stats below:
Operating Systems Unique Visitors
Windows XP 711 56.69%
Windows 98 382 30.46%
Windows 2000 98 7.81%
Other 23 1.83%
Linux 2 20 1.59%
Macintosh 11 0.87%
Windows NT 5 0.39%
Windows 95 3 0.23%
WebTV 1 0.07%
Windows 95.61% - Mac 0.87% - Unix 1.59% - Other 1.91%

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

News

"Pat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 02:54:05 +0100, "News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
>>just
>>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>

> W98 1st ed here. I ran 3.1 until 1998 finally going to 98. I really don't
> want to change. Eventually, I'll want SW that won't run on 98 then I'll
> make
> the change. I still use a lot of DOS programs and I'm not sure XP and
> later
> Windows OS's will support them. I guess I'll dual boot when the time
> comes.
> I dread it.

I thought XP was supposed to support older programs? Dual booting I have
read seems to have a few complexities.
Anyway, what kind of dos programs do you still run may I ask? Just out of
interest. I didn't realise their were any that were useful?

News

"elaich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:d75ujp$26s$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and
>> I just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?

> I used ME for 5 years and migrated to 2000. 98SE is a slow, stupid OS.
> Tweak ME to get around a few issues and it'll blow 98's doors off.
>
> I mainly switched to 2000 because more and more software these days is not
> supporting Windows 9x. 2000 is fast and stable and does not phone home
> like
> XP does.

How does XP phone home?

> --
> "No sports writers were harmed during the making of this post. And what I
> want to know is - why not?"

News

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
>>just
>>wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>
>>Any thoughts?
>>

> According to the site stats for MVP Jim Eshelman's Windows Support
> Center (http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm) 8% of the visits to his site
> in April were from people using Windows 98. Windows Me was 3%,
> Windows 95 was 1%, and Windows XP was 72%.

wow! That really is a huge shift, it seemed only about two years it was
about 20% only were using xp the majority were for 98SE, that is a huge rise
in a relatively short period of time if those stats are accurate!!"

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

News

"Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tEIle.2822$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Ron Martell wrote:
>> "News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi its been about 3/4 months since I've migrated from wndws 98SE, and I
>>>just wondered what percentage approximately still use 98SE?
>>>
>>>Any thoughts?

>> According to the site stats for MVP Jim Eshelman's Windows Support
>> Center (http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm) 8% of the visits to his site
>> in April were from people using Windows 98. Windows Me was 3%,
>> Windows 95 was 1%, and Windows XP was 72%.
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

> Hi Ron, I took a look at the link you supplied and was wondering weather
> or not the Percentages said more about the OS or the Operator? My stats
> below:
> Operating Systems Unique Visitors
> Windows XP 711 56.69% Windows 98 382 30.46% Windows 2000
> 98 7.81% Other 23 1.83% Linux 2 20 1.59% Macintosh 11
> 0.87% Windows NT 5 0.39% Windows 95 3 0.23% WebTV 1
> 0.07% Windows 95.61% - Mac 0.87% - Unix 1.59% - Other 1.91%

Actually those stats "feel" more accurate than the ones mentioned above.
> --
> Old Gringo George
> Magic Weaver Of Life
> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
> Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

Old Gringo

News wrote:
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tEIle.2822$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>Ron Martell wrote:

>>>According to the site stats for MVP Jim Eshelman's Windows Support
>>>Center (http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm) 8% of the visits to his site
>>>in April were from people using Windows 98. Windows Me was 3%,
>>>Windows 95 was 1%, and Windows XP was 72%.
>>>

>>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

>>Hi Ron, I took a look at the link you supplied and was wondering weather
>>or not the Percentages said more about the OS or the Operator? My stats
>>below:
>> Operating Systems Unique Visitors
>> Windows XP 711 56.69% Windows 98 382 30.46% Windows 2000
>>98 7.81% Other 23 1.83% Linux 2 20 1.59% Macintosh 11
>>0.87% Windows NT 5 0.39% Windows 95 3 0.23% WebTV 1
>>0.07% Windows 95.61% - Mac 0.87% - Unix 1.59% - Other 1.91%

> Actually those stats "feel" more accurate than the ones mentioned above.
>
>>--
>>Old Gringo George
>>Magic Weaver Of Life
>>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
>>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-Industries.com>

I believe most of my hits come from here and feel there would be a
very broad selection of Operating systems. Site stats really are not
an accurate way to determine the percentages of various Operating
systems out there. I believe a survey would have to be taken or a
check with MS to see if they may have an idea as most Win systems
check home base on occasion. ?? Just a guess.

--

"News" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>wow! That really is a huge shift, it seemed only about two years it was
>about 20% only were using xp the majority were for 98SE, that is a huge rise
>in a relatively short period of time if those stats are accurate!!"

It is a support and problem solving web site so most of the visits are
from people with problems, A high percentage of these will be new
users and they are more likely to have new computers with Windows XP
rather than 6 or 7 year old machines with Windows 98.

Windows 98 systems that are in use tend to be well established and
stable, and therefore most problems with them have long since been
identified and resolved.