Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ping Toolman Tim

ping Toolman Tim

Star@*.*

Just purchased a Dell Optipex GX150 computer and license for Windows
2000 Pro for a retired widow. The software is loaded but none of the cab
files are on the HDD and it came with no media.
Went to Dells site here in Australia and could not find anywhere to get
the software disks.
As the person is on a pension they can't afford to spend a whole lot for
just the media but I would like to have it in case I need to reinstall
the operating system.
I went to a computer market and they had the Dell media for sale but
wanted $160. This is far to much for the person to pay. I paid $250 for
the computer system but charged $175 as I knew the money was tight
for her and she want's to keep in contact with her grandchildren
overseas.
In you posts you talk about Dell computers that your company uses so
thought you might have a tip on how to get the CDs from Dell.

TIA

Gordon

On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:37:21 +0000, Star wrote:

> Just purchased a Dell Optipex GX150 computer and license for Windows
> 2000 Pro for a retired widow. The software is loaded but none of the cab
> files are on the HDD and it came with no media.
> Went to Dells site here in Australia and could not find anywhere to get
> the software disks.
> As the person is on a pension they can't afford to spend a whole lot for
> just the media but I would like to have it in case I need to reinstall
> the operating system.
> I went to a computer market and they had the Dell media for sale but
> wanted $160. This is far to much for the person to pay. I paid $250 for
> the computer system but charged $175 as I knew the money was tight
> for her and she want's to keep in contact with her grandchildren
> overseas.
> In you posts you talk about Dell computers that your company uses so
> thought you might have a tip on how to get the CDs from Dell.
>
> TIA

Ebay

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Fedora Core 3 and Open Office

Mike Easter

Star@*.* wrote:
> Just purchased a Dell Optipex GX150 computer and license for Windows
> 2000 Pro for a retired widow. The software is loaded but none of the
> cab files are on the HDD and it came with no media.

That 'license for Windows 2000 Pro' is supposed to mean you get a Dell
type Win2kPro license and dell type media specifically for that
hardware. If you have to buy legitimate Win2KPro licensed media all
over again, it isn't cheap.

Who did you buy it from and why didn't they provide you with what that
'license' requires/provides?

--
Mike Easter

Star@*.*

On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:30:05 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Star@*.* wrote:
>> Just purchased a Dell Optipex GX150 computer and license for Windows
>> 2000 Pro for a retired widow. The software is loaded but none of the
>> cab files are on the HDD and it came with no media.

>That 'license for Windows 2000 Pro' is supposed to mean you get a Dell
>type Win2kPro license and dell type media specifically for that
>hardware. If you have to buy legitimate Win2KPro licensed media all
>over again, it isn't cheap.
>
>Who did you buy it from and why didn't they provide you with what that
>'license' requires/provides?

Machine was purchased from the Australian Gov. surplus. They said that
because of their license agreement they could not furnish the media just
the license and should contact Dell.
I made a Ghost Image of the HDD as purchased so may be stuck with
using the Image to restore in case of failure.
Have installed a backup program on her machine and I weekly copy the
backup to my external HDD. Not the best but may be my only choice.

Thanks