Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why has my car lost performance?

Why has my car lost performance?

I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
is worn out.
All suggestions appreciated.

Paul - xxx

M came up with the following;:
> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done
> over 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the
> engine is worn out.
> All suggestions appreciated.

Give it a service. Blocked air, fuel filters can really hamper outright
performance.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

old jon

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>M came up with the following;:
>> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
>> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
>> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does
>> not
>> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced.
>> Petrol
>> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
>> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done
>> over 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the
>> engine is worn out.
>> All suggestions appreciated.

> Give it a service. Blocked air, fuel filters can really hamper outright
> performance.

INSERT> Why ?. It`s done 100,000 miles without a service <g>

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
|>accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
|>driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
|>use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
|>consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
|>about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
|>100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
|>is worn out.
|>All suggestions appreciated.

Not knowing the year or make...

Some cars have a chip that watches your habits and adjust settings to
a point they suck. Omini Horizon is one.

Disconnecting the positive battery cable for awhile will reset the
chip, and give better performance.

Car computer chips also have what's called a limp mode, meaning it's
not sure which end is up and defaults to a setting allowing you to
"limp" home. - could be in that mode.

Again depending upon the year and model of the car, there is a chip
reader available to read the chip and it's problems. Some cars allow a
little voodoo with the ignition switch, then you can decipher flashing
dash lights to find a problem; again I know a Omini Horizon is one.

Google for your car

--
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Plato

M wrote:

> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
> 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
> is worn out.

When was the last time the air filter was changed? In other words, I
dont mean the last time you had it serviced, but I do mean, when was the
last time the air and/or gas filter was changed and you actually
verified that the new parts were put in?

Another thing is that fuel injectors get dirty and dont spray the fine
mist that they do when newer. A couple of tanks of petrol and some added
injector cleaner may do the trick, assuming the above is OK also.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

M wrote:

> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
> 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
> is worn out.
> All suggestions appreciated.

Have you considered that the piston rings may be shafted?

boywonder

In news:g2sle.76$(E-Mail Removed),
Brian H <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> M wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
>> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
>> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
>> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
>> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
>> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
>> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
>> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
>> All suggestions appreciated.
>>

> Have you considered that the piston rings may be shafted?

You do change the oil every 3000 km?
--
Tommy
tommyATlee9_2000(removethis)ATyahooATcom

Blinky the Shark

M wrote:

> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
> 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
> is worn out.

Hey, that's pretty low mileage for an '85 Yugo.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

ellis_jay

M wrote:
> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It
> does not use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly
> serviced. Petrol consumption is slightly higher than before but
> nothing to get too worried about. I have checked for binding brakes
> and they are OK. It has done over 100,000 miles but as it does not
> use any oil I don't think that the engine is worn out.
> All suggestions appreciated.

Sounds to me like the cam shaft needs replacing. The lobes could be worn
and that is why you lose power going up a hill or pulling a load. Has the
car idled alot over the years? Excessive idling will make the lobes wear
down prematurely thereby causing the pushrods to not work properly for the
normal strokes they need for power transfer to intake and exhaust valves
under load. You may not have an oil usage issue, but that doesn't matter
for certain stages of this problem. But do practice the Law of Parsimony
and do the simple things first. Air filter, gas filter checks and the like.
Check compression and so forth before you junk it at the auction. It
probably has a test connector somewhere under the dash or hood for testing
emission electronics. It is easy to test that connector...........get a
Haynes Manual at the part store and a 40 dollar-or less- tester and check
it... easy directions...and the codes are in the manual. You may still want
to junk it. Diagnostics are easy--paying for the problem may not be so easy
or even desirable.

yer welcome

Ellis_jay

jbx

M wrote:
> I have noticed that my car has lately lost its sparkle. It does not
> accelerate or climb hills as easily as before but is still perfectly
> driveable, still cruses on the motorway without any problems. It does not
> use any oil, runs at normal temperature and is regularly serviced. Petrol
> consumption is slightly higher than before but nothing to get too worried
> about. I have checked for binding brakes and they are OK. It has done over
> 100,000 miles but as it does not use any oil I don't think that the engine
> is worn out.
> All suggestions appreciated.

Not knowing the make, model, operating system etc.

You could take Frank Da Luccas' advice, (afterall he is an MPV!) and
install Service Pack 2.

Or more likely, had a look here.
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/v...e%20diagnostic

--
jbx

CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed Digital Photography 3 10-31-2007 10:50 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C++ 0 10-31-2007 02:25 AM
CAR INSURANCE FOR YOUR CAR Ahmed C Programming 0 10-31-2007 02:24 AM