Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop causing phone line problems

laptop causing phone line problems

Blinky the Shark

Chrissey wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Chrissey wrote:

>>> well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the
>>> only difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could
>>> there be too much electricity is going into the laptop?

>> No.

>> this is getting confusuing

Sorry. I'll to answer more briefly, next time.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>it on |>the mains without the old battery |> |>The problem is when i
>>plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal |>goes dead so i
>>cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the |>laptop
>>is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
>>used a different phone |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its
>>not that. |> |>id be greatful for any help you can offer.. |>

>> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
>> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

> Nah.
>
> Sounds to me like the modem's going offhook on its own, but not getting
> an ATD to dial out. I don't know why that would be. I haven't shopped
> for a modem in years (laptop or otherwise) -- do new ones have some kind
> of autodetect on line connection feature (kind of a WOPLC - Wake On
> Phone Line Connection <g>) ?

Many modems do have a wake on ring feature. It's one of the first things I
turn off. I use my phone for voice, not data, and I don't want ET phoning
home on my quarter.

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Mellowed wrote:
>
>> If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
>> Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

> Whoa! I fried a laptop modem once, doing that. Literally. Ended up
> with a charcoal component sitting on a black burn smudge on the
> printed circuit board.

That's another nice thing Dell is doing with their laptop modems, maybe the
desktop ones too. They have software that checks to be sure the modem is on
an analog line instead of digital. I'm not sure how it works though.

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>it on |>the mains without the old battery |> |>The problem is when i
>>>plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal |>goes dead so i
>>>cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the |>laptop
>>>is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
>>>used a different phone |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its
>>>not that. |> |>id be greatful for any help you can offer.. |>

>>> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
>>> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

>> Nah.

>> Sounds to me like the modem's going offhook on its own, but not getting
>> an ATD to dial out. I don't know why that would be. I haven't shopped
>> for a modem in years (laptop or otherwise) -- do new ones have some kind
>> of autodetect on line connection feature (kind of a WOPLC - Wake On
>> Phone Line Connection <g>) ?

> Many modems do have a wake on ring feature. It's one of the first things I
> turn off. I use my phone for voice, not data, and I don't want ET phoning
> home on my quarter.

Yeah, but this one wasn't getting a ring.

As for WOR, wouldn't that only happen if ET was calling *you*? If so,
that wouldn't be on your quarter.

--

Toolman Tim wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Mellowed wrote:

>>> If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
>>> Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

>> Whoa! I fried a laptop modem once, doing that. Literally. Ended up
>> with a charcoal component sitting on a black burn smudge on the
>> printed circuit board.

> That's another nice thing Dell is doing with their laptop modems, maybe the
> desktop ones too. They have software that checks to be sure the modem is on
> an analog line instead of digital. I'm not sure how it works though.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I'm just glad when I toasted mine it was a PCMCIA modem, and not
something integrated.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Whoa! I fried a laptop modem once, doing that. Literally. Ended up
>>> with a charcoal component sitting on a black burn smudge on the
>>> printed circuit board.

>> That's another nice thing Dell is doing with their laptop modems, maybe
>> the
>> desktop ones too. They have software that checks to be sure the modem is
>> on
>> an analog line instead of digital. I'm not sure how it works though.

> Yeah, that's a good idea.
>
> I'm just glad when I toasted mine it was a PCMCIA modem, and not
> something integrated.

For sure!

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Nah.

>>> Sounds to me like the modem's going offhook on its own, but not getting
>>> an ATD to dial out. I don't know why that would be. I haven't shopped
>>> for a modem in years (laptop or otherwise) -- do new ones have some kind
>>> of autodetect on line connection feature (kind of a WOPLC - Wake On
>>> Phone Line Connection <g>) ?

>> Many modems do have a wake on ring feature. It's one of the first things
>> turn off. I use my phone for voice, not data, and I don't want ET phoning
>> home on my quarter.

> Yeah, but this one wasn't getting a ring.

I'd put my money on the OP having plugged the cable in to the ethernet jack,
or twisted the wires in the phone jack.

> As for WOR, wouldn't that only happen if ET was calling *you*? If so,
> that wouldn't be on your quarter.

Yup...that's true.