Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop causing phone line problems

laptop causing phone line problems

old jon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> |>greater magmatic field
>
> How about magnetic, spell checker came up with magmatic.

INSERT> Dump the spell checker, you do a lot better without it <g>

> --
> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Aquanaut

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsR3le.12$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d72ehj$5ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
>> the mains without the old battery
>>
>> The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
>> signal
>> goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if
>> the
>> laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
>> signal is back
>>
>> is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
>> cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
>>
>> id be greatful for any help you can offer..
>>

> Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
> Have you added an extra phone connection point?
> My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in the
> laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
> equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection work
> now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill
> you get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place on
> your phone line.

An average household instalation will have a REN value of 4 the average
phone has a ren of 1 (usually on a sticker on underside of phone) modems
vary between 1 and 1.5
Do you have call waiting etc initialised if so try disabling it.
Another thing to bear in mind is you may be on a shared line,if that is the
case you will only have a REN value of 2

REN = ringer equivalant number

pcbutts1

No the battery makes no difference. Try using a different phone cord and
plug and if nothing works then the modem is bad. Also make sure you are
plugging it into the correct plug on your laptop, not the Ethernet port.

"Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d72fk5$k02$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> on

> signal
>> if

> the

>> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
>> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.
>>

> well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
> difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be
> too
> much electricity is going into the laptop?
>

>> Neat link to play with:
>> http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/RL.htm
>>
>> --
>> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Chrissey

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y14le.5520$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsR3le.12$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:d72ehj$5ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it

on
> >> the mains without the old battery
> >>
> >> The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
> >> signal
> >> goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter

if
> >> the
> >> laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
> >> signal is back
> >>
> >> is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
> >> cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
> >>
> >> id be greatful for any help you can offer..
> >>

> > Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
> > Have you added an extra phone connection point?
> > My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in

the
> > laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
> > equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection

work
> > now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill
> > you get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place

on
> > your phone line.

it worked up until today when i took the battery out of it. At the
moment im using this pc with a phone so im guessing its not that. i tried
the laptop alone without a phone and no connection. but im pretty sure i
need to have the phone on as well to dial up.

> An average household instalation will have a REN value of 4 the average
> phone has a ren of 1 (usually on a sticker on underside of phone) modems
> vary between 1 and 1.5
> Do you have call waiting etc initialised if so try disabling it.
> Another thing to bear in mind is you may be on a shared line,if that is

the
> case you will only have a REN value of 2
>
> REN = ringer equivalant number

Blinky the Shark

Chrissey wrote:

> well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
> difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
> much electricity is going into the laptop?

No.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Chrissey

the battery was the only thing i could think of that was different to
yesterday when it was working fine. can you explain how the modem would
effect the phone line when the laptop is switched off?

news:u34le.1359$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> No the battery makes no difference. Try using a different phone cord and
> plug and if nothing works then the modem is bad. Also make sure you are
> plugging it into the correct plug on your laptop, not the Ethernet port.

> "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d72fk5$k02$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

it
> > on

> > signal
> >> if

> > the

phone

phone

> >> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
> >> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.
> >>

> > well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the

only
> > difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be
> > too
> > much electricity is going into the laptop?
> >

> >> Neat link to play with:
> >> http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/RL.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Chrissey

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Chrissey wrote:
>
> > well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the

only
> > difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be

too
> > much electricity is going into the laptop?

> No.
>
> this is getting confusuing

Blinky the Shark

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>|>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using
>it on |>the mains without the old battery |> |>The problem is when i
>plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal |>goes dead so i
>cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the |>laptop
>is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
>|>signal is back |> |>is this just because im not using a battery? ive
>used a different phone |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its
>not that. |> |>id be greatful for any help you can offer.. |>

> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

Nah.

Sounds to me like the modem's going offhook on its own, but not getting
an ATD to dial out. I don't know why that would be. I haven't shopped
for a modem in years (laptop or otherwise) -- do new ones have some kind
of autodetect on line connection feature (kind of a WOPLC - Wake On
Phone Line Connection <g>) ?

--

Mellowed wrote:

> If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
> Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

Whoa! I fried a laptop modem once, doing that. Literally. Ended up
with a charcoal component sitting on a black burn smudge on the
printed circuit board.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

pcbutts1

It could be a number of things, a bad phone cord, easy fix. Wake On Lan is a
feature that will boot your computer when it is turned off. That works
because when your computer is turned off power is still supplied to some
components of the motherboard. If the modem is bad it could cause circuits
to cross and short out. Have you physically examined the modem port to make
sure the prongs are not bent.

news:d72l10$oc5$(E-Mail Removed)...