Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop causing phone line problems

laptop causing phone line problems

Chrissey

I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
the mains without the old battery

The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal
goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the
laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
signal is back

is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.

id be greatful for any help you can offer..

Evan Platt

On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:39 +0100, "Chrissey"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal
>goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet.

What do you mean by it goes dead?

>It does this no matter if the laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
>signal is back

Are you talking about picking up an extension? And when you plug the
phone cable into the laptops modem jack, whether the laptop is on or
off, the extension is dead?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
|>the mains without the old battery
|>
|>The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone signal
|>goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if the
|>laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
|>signal is back
|>
|>is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
|>cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
|>
|>id be greatful for any help you can offer..

That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

Neat link to play with:
http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/RL.htm

--
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Chrissey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 18:59:39 +0100, "Chrissey"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone

signal
> >goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet.

> What do you mean by it goes dead?

when i pick up the phone i cant hear anything.. no dial tone.. just a
bit of crackling, i take the phone cable out and the dial tone is back as
normal

> >It does this no matter if the laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i

remove the cable the phone
> >signal is back

> Are you talking about picking up an extension? And when you plug the
> phone cable into the laptops modem jack, whether the laptop is on or
> off, the extension is dead?
>
> it is just a cable running to the adapter in the phone socket with my

phone plugged into also.

Mellowed

If you are connecting to a business exchange line, it might be digital.
Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

news:d72ehj$5ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
signal
: goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter
if the
: laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
: signal is back
:
: is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different
phone
: cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
:
: id be greatful for any help you can offer..
:
:

Chrissey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it

on
> |>the mains without the old battery
> |>
> |>The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone

signal
> |>goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if

the
> |>laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
> |>signal is back
> |>
> |>is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
> |>cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
> |>
> |>id be greatful for any help you can offer..
> |>

> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
much electricity is going into the laptop?

> Neat link to play with:
> http://www.ngsir.netfirms.com/englishhtm/RL.htm
>
> --
> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

|>on

|>signal
|>the

|>> That's a weird one, make sure the power cord is as far away from the
|>> phone line as possible. The problem could caused by inductance.

|>well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the only
|>difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be too
|>much electricity is going into the laptop?

More electricity, greater magmatic field, larger inductor. It was just
a guess.

--

On http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>greater magmatic field

How about magnetic, spell checker came up with magmatic.

--
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Chrissey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On "Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> |><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

it
> |>on

phone
> |>signal

matter if
> |>the

phone

phone

> |>well, the power cord is in the same place as it always has been, the

only
> |>difference is i dont have the battery inside the laptop.. could there be

too
> |>much electricity is going into the laptop?
>
> More electricity, greater magmatic field, larger inductor. It was just
> a guess.

i just dont understand why its never happened before. thanks for your help.
> --
> http://www.honeynet.org/papers/phishing/

Aquanaut

"Chrissey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d72ehj$5ba$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am awaiting a new battery for my advent 7011 laptop so i am using it on
> the mains without the old battery
>
> The problem is when i plug in the phone line to the laptop, the phone
> signal
> goes dead so i cannot connect to the internet. It does this no matter if
> the
> laptop is switched on or off. as soon as i remove the cable the phone
> signal is back
>
> is this just because im not using a battery? ive used a different phone
> cable and the same thing happens so i know its not that.
>
> id be greatful for any help you can offer..

Has it ever worked in the location you are talking about?
Have you added an extra phone connection point?
My best guess is you have exceeded the REN of the line by plugging in the
laptop along with your other phones.You can check this by unplugging ALL
equipment from the phone sockets bar the laptop---does the connection work
now? assuming yes plug in one more phone---still work? carry on untill you
get failure--AKA you will have achieved the max load you can place on your
phone line.