Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network printer not responding to spool on powerup.

Network printer not responding to spool on powerup.

BudV

In your paragraph 4: "nic" = ???

"Diamontina Cocktail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I thought I wrapped this thread up, but something else came up.
>>
>> This thread was regarding my daughter's system. I also have WinXP Home
>> SP2, but it's connected directly to an HP 2610 all-in-one with a USB
>> cable.
>>
>> I tried the same experiment, and the PC didn't say anything about
>> spooling. It just quietly put the print file into the print queue without
>> comment. When the printer was turned on, it immediately started printing
>> the files in the print queue. It didn't make any difference if I
>> restarted the PC in the meantime -- hibernate or power off. Just the way
>> I like it.
>>

> The machine it doesn't work on, try this in this order:
>
> 1. Go to Start, Run and type services.msc and hit enter. Check the Print
> Spooler. Is it running? If not, start it then try all this again without
> proceeding to the rest. If it works, you probably have it set to manual.
> Double click on Print Spooler and change the start to Auto.
>
> 2. If 1 didn't help, go to start, run and type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
> Put your XP disk in your CD drive and wait until it all finishes. Reboot
> the machine and try again. If no good, proceed to 3.
>
> 3. Uninstall the printer entirely. Reboot the machine. Install the
> printer. Try now. Perhaps, for whatever reason, previous attempts to
> install stuffed up. Make sure to install from the latest drivers etc that
> you will have already downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web site.
>
> 4. If 3 and 2 haven't worked and you don't have any firewalls on, it is
> likely that either something in your router and/or nic is blocking this
> and if you have checked that and it isn't the case, the next thing I would
> do would be a repair install of XP on the computer with the printer
> physically attached.
>

> Now, while saying all that, I am assuming you have the printer shared and
> know it and have installed it on the remote machine as a networked
> printer. If you aren't sure of those 2 points, it may be that you need to
> get your local industry worker to get in there and look at what is going
> on.

BudV

First of all, I want to thank you for sticking with me on this. You've gone
above and beyond the call of duty.

In my previous post. I'm simply asking what "nic" means. I don't know.

We have a small communication problem that I'd like to fix. Both systems
"work". They just work differently. Let's refer to them as the "network"
system and the "direct" system. I'm not sure which you mean when you say
"the machine it doesn't work on."

I think you're talking about how spooling doesn't work on the direct system.
Spooling does work on the direct system -- it just doesn't give me any
spooling type messages. (Services.msc shows that it's started and
automatic.) I LIKE the way it works: effectively, no popups, and when the
printer is turned on, it immediately starts printing. I wish the network
system worked that way. So until I hear otherwise from you, I'm going to
hold up on the procedure you're suggesting.

It's the network system that started this thread. Its spooler is obviously
working, as evidenced by the popups. I don't know who's running the
spooler -- XP or the printer driver. I suspect it's XP. It probably gets
an interrupt when the printer is turned on. You would think that it would
then invoke the spooler to do its thing.

"Diamontina Cocktail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I thought I wrapped this thread up, but something else came up.
>>
>> This thread was regarding my daughter's system. I also have WinXP Home
>> SP2, but it's connected directly to an HP 2610 all-in-one with a USB
>> cable.
>>
>> I tried the same experiment, and the PC didn't say anything about
>> spooling. It just quietly put the print file into the print queue without
>> comment. When the printer was turned on, it immediately started printing
>> the files in the print queue. It didn't make any difference if I
>> restarted the PC in the meantime -- hibernate or power off. Just the way
>> I like it.
>>

> The machine it doesn't work on, try this in this order:
>
> 1. Go to Start, Run and type services.msc and hit enter. Check the Print
> Spooler. Is it running? If not, start it then try all this again without
> proceeding to the rest. If it works, you probably have it set to manual.
> Double click on Print Spooler and change the start to Auto.
>
> 2. If 1 didn't help, go to start, run and type sfc /scannow and hit enter.
> Put your XP disk in your CD drive and wait until it all finishes. Reboot
> the machine and try again. If no good, proceed to 3.
>
> 3. Uninstall the printer entirely. Reboot the machine. Install the
> printer. Try now. Perhaps, for whatever reason, previous attempts to
> install stuffed up. Make sure to install from the latest drivers etc that
> you will have already downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web site.
>
> 4. If 3 and 2 haven't worked and you don't have any firewalls on, it is
> likely that either something in your router and/or nic is blocking this
> and if you have checked that and it isn't the case, the next thing I would
> do would be a repair install of XP on the computer with the printer
> physically attached.
>

> Now, while saying all that, I am assuming you have the printer shared and
> know it and have installed it on the remote machine as a networked
> printer. If you aren't sure of those 2 points, it may be that you need to
> get your local industry worker to get in there and look at what is going
> on.

Diamontina Cocktail

Excuse the full quote which I believe is needed in this case but NIC is
Network Identification Card. (Darn, I just forgot if "I" equals
Identification) but nevertheless it is your ethernet connection port/card
and also your wireless card.

"BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In your paragraph 4: "nic" = ???
>
> "Diamontina Cocktail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, I thought I wrapped this thread up, but something else came up.
>>>
>>> This thread was regarding my daughter's system. I also have WinXP Home
>>> SP2, but it's connected directly to an HP 2610 all-in-one with a USB
>>> cable.
>>>
>>> I tried the same experiment, and the PC didn't say anything about
>>> spooling. It just quietly put the print file into the print queue
>>> without comment. When the printer was turned on, it immediately started
>>> printing the files in the print queue. It didn't make any difference if
>>> I restarted the PC in the meantime -- hibernate or power off. Just the
>>> way I like it.
>>>

>> The machine it doesn't work on, try this in this order:
>>
>> 1. Go to Start, Run and type services.msc and hit enter. Check the Print
>> Spooler. Is it running? If not, start it then try all this again without
>> proceeding to the rest. If it works, you probably have it set to manual.
>> Double click on Print Spooler and change the start to Auto.
>>
>> 2. If 1 didn't help, go to start, run and type sfc /scannow and hit
>> enter. Put your XP disk in your CD drive and wait until it all finishes.
>> Reboot the machine and try again. If no good, proceed to 3.
>>
>> 3. Uninstall the printer entirely. Reboot the machine. Install the
>> printer. Try now. Perhaps, for whatever reason, previous attempts to
>> install stuffed up. Make sure to install from the latest drivers etc that
>> you will have already downloaded from the printer manufacturer's web
>> site.
>>
>> 4. If 3 and 2 haven't worked and you don't have any firewalls on, it is
>> likely that either something in your router and/or nic is blocking this
>> and if you have checked that and it isn't the case, the next thing I
>> would do would be a repair install of XP on the computer with the printer
>> physically attached.
>>

>> Now, while saying all that, I am assuming you have the printer shared and
>> know it and have installed it on the remote machine as a networked
>> printer. If you aren't sure of those 2 points, it may be that you need to
>> get your local industry worker to get in there and look at what is going
>> on.

Diamontina Cocktail

"BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, I want to thank you for sticking with me on this. You've
> gone above and beyond the call of duty.
>
> In my previous post. I'm simply asking what "nic" means. I don't know.
>
> We have a small communication problem that I'd like to fix. Both systems
> "work". They just work differently. Let's refer to them as the "network"
> system and the "direct" system. I'm not sure which you mean when you
> say "the machine it doesn't work on."
>
> I think you're talking about how spooling doesn't work on the direct
> system. Spooling does work on the direct system -- it just doesn't give me
> any spooling type messages. (Services.msc shows that it's started and
> automatic.) I LIKE the way it works: effectively, no popups, and when
> the printer is turned on, it immediately starts printing. I wish the
> network system worked that way. So until I hear otherwise from you, I'm
> going to hold up on the procedure you're suggesting.

Now *I* am confused.

A networked printer works like this when you send something to be printed
from a remote printer to a printer that is physically attached to another
printer and not itself working off a wireless print device:

You send the thing to be printed to the printer. In normal circumstances, it
compiles and sends very quickly and you basically see just about nothing
(depends on printer, BTW). When it goes to that printer, it obviously goes
through the machine to which that printer is attached but in doing so should
NOT invoke a pop up unless your specific printer has an option/setting to
make that happen. In normal USB printers, even if that printer is off and so
long as the settings are correct, the printer should wake up, print and then
turn off eventually but of course that means that the computer the printer
is attached to is ON. You never send a print job to a printer connected that
way. While it should work, sometimes it just doesn't and you can get a lot
of wasted paper and ink as a result so it is much better to make sure the
machine that has the printer attached is on and ready before you send the
print job from the remote machine. When you send the print, if all is on,
all you should see at the remote machine is that it went off and nothing on
the machine attached to the printer but the printer work normally anyway.

If your printer does NOT turn on when a print job is sent to it yet SHOULD
do that, check the settings first and if they look right, uninstall the
printer on all machines, reboot all computers and install printers first on
the attached machine and then as a networked printer on the other machine.
If it still doesn't work, honestly you may need your local industry person
to check it out. Likely to be a firewall issue whether you know it or not.

Lem

Diamontina Cocktail wrote:

> Excuse the full quote which I believe is needed in this case but NIC is
> Network Identification Card. (Darn, I just forgot if "I" equals
> Identification) but nevertheless it is your ethernet connection port/card
> and also your wireless card.

"interface"

<snip>

BudV

Someone once said that if you ask Hugh Downs what time it is, he'll tell you
how a watch works. I've got a lot of answers to questions here -- now I
have to just pick and choose.

I'm probably the cause of all the confusion here, by thinking that my
concern is network-related. The network you're envisioning (and you're much
better at doing that than I am) involves wa-a-ay too many printers and PCs
for my comfort, and it makes me think that my little "network" doesn't even
qualify for the title.

What I have is a router. WinXP is a wireless connection. Win98, a DSL
modem, and the 3210 printer are all Ethernet connections. That's it.

In any event, you've given me plenty to think about, including the fact that
this is more of a printer concern than a network concern, and if I pursue
this further, I'll go to a more appropriate newsgroup.

Many thanks for all your work.

news:Ol%(E-Mail Removed)...