Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XT licence question?

XT licence question?

Why

XT license question?
I'm building a new computer (new case , HD's motherboard &
monitor). I'm ghosting the HD's from old to new. I want
to keep the old computer as a back-up only, case the new
one has trouble.

Now if I buy another copy of XT home I think I will have
to do a clean install which I don't want to do as I have
100's of old programs on the old one & the ghost clone
brings them all over.

Can a new copy of XT just do a restore & get a new license?
Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
into the new computer?

Anyone know how this works?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:27:02 GMT, Why <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>XT license question?
|>I'm building a new computer (new case , HD's motherboard &
|>monitor). I'm ghosting the HD's from old to new. I want
|>to keep the old computer as a back-up only, case the new
|>one has trouble.
|>
|>Now if I buy another copy of XT home I think I will have
|>to do a clean install which I don't want to do as I have
|>100's of old programs on the old one & the ghost clone
|>brings them all over.
|>
|>Can a new copy of XT just do a restore & get a new license?
|>Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
|>into the new computer?

So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
is an upgrade.

When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
license, just use your old one.

Why

>So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
>purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
>is an upgrade.
>
>When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
>XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
>license, just use your old one.

Sorry, I did mean XP just remember my old XT computer, long time ago.
Right after the Commodore

So it's ok since my old one will not be used "unless" the new one
die's ( motherboard & new memory & 4 new HD's video card). Lot to go
wrong in the first month. If it does I will need to RMA stuff & put my
old one back to work while I'm waiting...
So microsoft won't get ****ed having to online re-set the XP license?

Why

>So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
>purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
>is an upgrade.
>
>When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
>XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
>license, just use your old one.

Sorry, I did mean XP just remember my old XT computer, long time ago.
Right after the Commodore

So it's ok since my old one will not be used "unless" the new one
die's ( motherboard & new memory & 4 new HD's video card). Lot to go
wrong in the first month. If it does I will need to RMA stuff & put my
old one back to work while I'm waiting...
So microsoft won't get ****ed having to online re-set the XP license?

Plato

Why wrote:

> So microsoft won't get ****ed having to online re-set the XP license?

If it doesnt work online, then just call for the info you need.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ron Martell

Why <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>XT license question?
>I'm building a new computer (new case , HD's motherboard &
>monitor). I'm ghosting the HD's from old to new. I want
>to keep the old computer as a back-up only, case the new
>one has trouble.
>
>Now if I buy another copy of XT home I think I will have
>to do a clean install which I don't want to do as I have
>100's of old programs on the old one & the ghost clone
>brings them all over.
>
>Can a new copy of XT just do a restore & get a new license?
>Or can I just buy an XT license & just enter the new number
>into the new computer?
>
>Anyone know how this works?

If you use ghost or other disk cloning software to transfer your old
hard drive content to the new hard drive then you will also have to do
a Repair Install of your Windows XP in order to configure it to work
with the new motherboard and other hardware. The install process for
Windows XP (and all NT based versions of Windows) customizes the
installed result for the specific hardware in the computer to a much
greater extent that does the 9x versions of Windows. But even the 9x
versions (95/98/Me) require considerable tweaking when a motherboard
is replaced.

A Repair Install will preserve your user data files, installed
applications, and program configuration settings. Windows updates
will have to be reinstalled.
See http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm for detailed
instructions.

One further point. If your Windows XP CD is the original release or
service pack 1 version of XP and if your installed XP has been
upgraded to Service Pack 2 then you will need to create a new
installation CD with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. See
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49
for detailed instructions.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Gort

Why wrote:
>>So many questions... like what's XT, I assume XP; and why you would
>>purchase another copy of XP if you are already using it, unless this
>>is an upgrade.
>>
>>When you pull your old system to your new one you will need to run the
>>XP CD repair option and load new drivers, this should also kick in the
>>license, just use your old one.

> Sorry, I did mean XP just remember my old XT computer, long time ago.
> Right after the Commodore
>
> So it's ok since my old one will not be used "unless" the new one
> die's ( motherboard & new memory & 4 new HD's video card). Lot to go
> wrong in the first month. If it does I will need to RMA stuff & put my
> old one back to work while I'm waiting...
> So microsoft won't get ****ed having to online re-set the XP license?

I've had to "phone home" 3 times so far. As long as you have a
legitimate reason there's no problem; they are very nice, polite, and
helpful.

Those that have problems with them are evidently those who decide to
berate the Techs about the policy, which they have no control of.

( No, I have no affiliation with Microsoft. But I do appreciate getting
help when I need it.)

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.