Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting video-player to computer

Connecting video-player to computer

zwixxx

My video player (like most) has a scart output thing.
I have a cable with scart plug on one end, and 3 pins on other - 2
audio and 1 visual. I want to connect these pins to my computer but it
doesn't have audio-in, or an s-video input hole.
Is there some hardware thing I can buy which fits inside the tower unit
and contains all necesary holes ?

P.

Carter

"zwixxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My video player (like most) has a scart output thing.
> I have a cable with scart plug on one end, and 3 pins on other - 2
> audio and 1 visual. I want to connect these pins to my computer but it
> doesn't have audio-in, or an s-video input hole.
> Is there some hardware thing I can buy which fits inside the tower unit
> and contains all necesary holes ?
>
> P.

Your wife, maybe?

nos1eep

"zwixxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My video player (like most) has a scart output thing.
> I have a cable with scart plug on one end, and 3 pins on other - 2
> audio and 1 visual. I want to connect these pins to my computer but it
> doesn't have audio-in, or an s-video input hole.
> Is there some hardware thing I can buy which fits inside the tower unit
> and contains all necesary holes ?
>
> P.

Video capture card.

Frank

"zwixxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My video player (like most) has a scart output thing.
> I have a cable with scart plug on one end, and 3 pins on other - 2
> audio and 1 visual. I want to connect these pins to my computer but it
> doesn't have audio-in, or an s-video input hole.
> Is there some hardware thing I can buy which fits inside the tower unit
> and contains all necesary holes ?
>
> P.

Do you have a DV camera or access to one?
If your PC has a firewire connection (IEEE 1394)
You can use that as "pass through".
Assuming your "Video player" has a S-video out
Connect VTR to DV camera via S-video
Connect DV camcorder to PC via firewire.
Select "playback" on camcorder.
You require software to capture the footage.
I use Nero6 and/or Roxio.
You can use Windows movie maker, click link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssthrough.mspx

There are a number of external standalone devices that
do the process, but avoid USB connections, this is notorious
for frame dropping. (Audio and Video rapidly become out of
sync because of frame dropping. - avoid USB)
Pinnacle do an-all-one external hub with all connections and
with a firewire host connection:
http://www.sub.co.uk/index.php?sec=p...2&category=869

There are any number of internal PCI cards for video capture,
having S-video and composite, Maplins do the Aver for 10
again you will require software for capture.

Paul Kersey

ATI makes All-In-Wonder card that will allow you to connect a vcr/camera
with RCA/SVideo connectors. www.ati.com Check ebay for used cards for a
good price.

"zwixxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> My video player (like most) has a scart output thing.
> I have a cable with scart plug on one end, and 3 pins on other - 2
> audio and 1 visual. I want to connect these pins to my computer but it
> doesn't have audio-in, or an s-video input hole.
> Is there some hardware thing I can buy which fits inside the tower unit
> and contains all necesary holes ?
>
> P.

zwixxx

Thanx for the pointers.
Right after asking the question I saw in Currys (or ws it Dixons?) a
box-type-thing (dazzle-digital video creator 90) which connects to the
video player via 3-pins (2x audio + 1 vid) and connects to computer via
a USB port (at ~50).
I think, in the future, I should hold back from posing questions which
I can easily answer myself via the local computer shop.

P.