Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ? ebay scam

? ebay scam

Don Frost

An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
He is using XP home sp2.
I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
cards and such he got very worried.
Thanks in advance.
Don

EBAY SECURITY CENTER
Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions

Unauthorized Account Access

We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based
transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have
temporary limited your access to sensitive features.

To get started, please click the link below:

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Don Frost wrote:
> An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
> format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
> this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
> He is using XP home sp2.
> I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
> cards and such he got very worried.
> Thanks in advance.
> Don
>

> EBAY SECURITY CENTER
> Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
>
> Unauthorized Account Access
>
> We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM based
> transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we have
> temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
>

> To get started, please click the link below:

Do NOT post HTML **** to text only groups, even if you think you have a
good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

Don Frost

> Don Frost wrote:
>> An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
>> format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
>> after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
>> He is using XP home sp2.
>> I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
>> credit cards and such he got very worried.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Don
>>

>> EBAY SECURITY CENTER
>> Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
>>
>> Unauthorized Account Access
>>
>> We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
>> based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
>> have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
>>

>> To get started, please click the link below:

> Do NOT post HTML **** to text only groups, even if you think you have a
> good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
> It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

I'm very sorry, this is my first newsgroup question (and probably my last!!)
But thank you for your answer, I suspected as much.
Don

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Don Frost wrote:
>>Don Frost wrote:
>>
>>>An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
>>>format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
>>>after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
>>>He is using XP home sp2.
>>>I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
>>>credit cards and such he got very worried.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>Don
>>>

>>>EBAY SECURITY CENTER
>>>Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
>>>
>>>Unauthorized Account Access
>>>
>>>We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
>>>based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
>>>have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
>>>

>>>To get started, please click the link below:

>>Do NOT post HTML **** to text only groups, even if you think you have a
>>good reason. The message you posted is plain-jane, everyday eBay spoof.
>>It's a scam and there's a quadzillion of these being sent out every day.

> I'm very sorry, this is my first newsgroup question (and probably my last!!)
> But thank you for your answer, I suspected as much.

You're welcome. Don't feel you have to stay away, just feel it's better
to post in plain text. And have a thick hide.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Mon, 23 May 2005 04:50:43 GMT, "Don Frost" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
|>format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came after
|>this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
|>He is using XP home sp2.
|>I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention credit
|>cards and such he got very worried.
|>Thanks in advance.
|>Don
|>

|>EBAY SECURITY CENTER
|>Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
|>
|>Unauthorized Account Access

http://www.honeynet.org/papers/bots/

This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

Don Frost

> You're welcome. Don't feel you have to stay away, just feel it's better
> to post in plain text. And have a thick hide.

Point taken Roger, thanks very much for your help,
Don

Don Frost

> This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

I'm lost pennywise. what is #10 identity theft?
don

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Don Frost wrote:
>>This is related to #10 Mass identity theft.

> I'm lost pennywise. what is #10 identity theft?
> don

Click on his link, look about 1/4 way down the page at #10.

Oxford Systems

"Don Frost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsidke.1452199$8l.743441@pd7tw1no...
> An old friend received this today, is it a scam? Sorry about the html
> format, but couldn't figure out how to change it! I left off what came
> after this message, it was a seemingly basic ebay webpage.
> He is using XP home sp2.
> I advised him to just delete and block sender, but when they mention
> credit cards and such he got very worried.
> Thanks in advance.
> Don
>

> EBAY SECURITY CENTER
> Dear customer. Please read this message and follow it's instructions
>
> Unauthorized Account Access
>
> We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized ATM
> based transaction on your account. Therefore as a preventive measure we
> have temporary limited your access to sensitive features.
>

> To get started, please click the link below:

[snip]

Despite all the security warnings available directly from Ebay and despite
all common sense (you do know about common sense, right?) and everything
else, this email is *definitely not* a scam and your friend should
immediately NOT log on to a known good eBay address but SHOULD INSTEAD log
in to the URL supplied to him/her via an email that begins with "Dear
Customer."

How ****ing STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?

Her Royal Highness

> How ****ing STUPID are you? How STUPID is your friend?

And how foul mouthed and rude mannered. Someone posted earlier about needing
a thick hide to post to a news group...I think all it needs is manners
between people. Do you not realise that some people are newbies to
Newsgroups, Ebay, Computing etc etc?? And aren't fresh off a MCSE!!