Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Problem

Hard Drive Problem

Scribner

I'm running XP Pro. I have 6 hard drives. All are FAT32. This has
been going on for a real long time, so I can't remember much history.
Anyway, half of my drive icons display the generic Windows icon. They
all show as normal at the beginning of boot up, but then these three
change. I ghosted one drive and re-formatted it. Voila' my drive
icon was back. So I transferred my ghosted files back to it, and the
problem came back. Is this a MBR problem? It is driving me nuts.
Thanks.

Parko

Scribner wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

> I'm running XP Pro. I have 6 hard drives. All are FAT32. This has
> been going on for a real long time, so I can't remember much history.
> Anyway, half of my drive icons display the generic Windows icon. They
> all show as normal at the beginning of boot up, but then these three
> change. I ghosted one drive and re-formatted it. Voila' my drive
> icon was back. So I transferred my ghosted files back to it, and the
> problem came back. Is this a MBR problem? It is driving me nuts.
> Thanks.

I would suggest the file allocation table on the drive in question is
corrupt. Formatting the drive appears to have rectified the problem, sooo
IIRC Symantec Ghost has an image explorer. Open your *.gho image/s and copy
individual files back to the drive, not the drive image in its entirety.
Oh, and you should convert your drives to NTFS unless you share the
files/work with with Macs, Linux boxes, and Win98 PCs.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345