Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > tcl, modelsim and vhdl generics

tcl, modelsim and vhdl generics

Riyaz

Hi there,

Is there a way of updating vhdl generic values in a testbench at successive
iterations of a Tcl script? I have a testbench with the entity having a
generic declaration. I wish to run the same testbench multiple times with a
different value for the generic each time. I am using modelsim and
executing a Tcl macro to run the testbench.

Kind regards

Jonathan Bromley

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:26:36 +0100, "Riyaz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Is there a way of updating vhdl generic values in a testbench at successive
>iterations of a Tcl script? I have a testbench with the entity having a
>generic declaration. I wish to run the same testbench multiple times with a
>different value for the generic each time. I am using modelsim and
>executing a Tcl macro to run the testbench.

Read the docs on the [vsim] command, particularly the -g and -G
options which allow you to patch generics from the command line.

It's also possible, and perhaps rather more fun, to parameterise
the design using deferred constants in a package. These deferred
constants can then be initialised from a file, or - even more fun -
from data piped from a Tcl script to the simulator's stdin channel.
--
Jonathan Bromley

Jonathan Bromley