Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bridge wired & wireless connection

Bridge wired & wireless connection

Evan Platt

Ok, I'd like to bridge a wireless and wired connection - I have a
laptop with a 802.11 connecting to a network, and a wired home network
with a netgear router.Both are using 192.168.1.X Ip's, on the
255.255.255.0 subnet. Essentially I want the desktop to have internet
access from the laptops 802.11 connection.

Is this possible? I tried the bridge connection on my laptop, but as
soon as I bridge the connections, my laptop ceases to 'see' any
internet traffic - i.e. pinging via IP fails. Will this work for what
I want to accomplish?

Thanks.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Evan Platt wrote:
> Ok, I'd like to bridge a wireless and wired connection - I have a
> laptop with a 802.11 connecting to a network, and a wired home network
> with a netgear router.Both are using 192.168.1.X Ip's, on the
> 255.255.255.0 subnet. Essentially I want the desktop to have internet
> access from the laptops 802.11 connection.
>
> Is this possible? I tried the bridge connection on my laptop, but as
> soon as I bridge the connections, my laptop ceases to 'see' any
> internet traffic - i.e. pinging via IP fails. Will this work for what
> I want to accomplish?

What do you mean by laptop connecting to a network? Is this an entirely
different network that has internet access on it? As in "my neighbor
doesn't know I'm using his wireless network"?

Evan Platt

On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:56:06 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What do you mean by laptop connecting to a network? Is this an entirely
>different network that has internet access on it? As in "my neighbor
>doesn't know I'm using his wireless network"?

It's a laptop connecting to an access point. And as in "I've
identified who owns the AP and it's a neighbor I know and I've
contacted them."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2005 19:56:06 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>What do you mean by laptop connecting to a network? Is this an entirely
>>different network that has internet access on it? As in "my neighbor
>>doesn't know I'm using his wireless network"?

> It's a laptop connecting to an access point. And as in "I've
> identified who owns the AP and it's a neighbor I know and I've
> contacted them."

Wouldn't you normally use a bridge for that instead of a wireless
client? But you could try enabling ICS on the laptop so that it's
basically serving as proxy for the other machines on your wired LAN. If
no luck, there's some pretty smart people over in alt.internet.wireless.