Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Logitech Mouse problem

Logitech Mouse problem

John Dean

Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part No.
830513-1000.
Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll function,
the wheel has an extra feature accessed by pressing the wheel once - a
"webwheel" which shows up as a small graphic with a variety of functions
like "open favorites", "refresh" and a customisable section for half a
dozen URLs.
(I know all these functions can be accessed quite easily in other ways
but I like the webwheel, especially for quick linking to the sites I use
most.)
What happens is the wheel mouse function occasionally disappears -
usually when there are several processes going on on the computer at the
same time (using XP Home, IE 6 BTW). All other mouse functions continue
to function perfectly, including the scroll on the wheel. I can get the
wheel mouse function back by simply rebooting but it seems to me there
should be an easier / quicker way. However, I can't see any help on
Logitech's site. Any ideas?
--
John Dean
Oxford

Barney

"John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
writtennews:d6q2id$61j$(E-Mail Removed):

> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58,
> Part No. 830513-1000.
> Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll
> However, I can't see any help on Logitech's site. Any ideas?

Bad battery? I use the trackball version but it warns me about low
battery level. Hmmm. Did you recheck it in the control panel/mouse
properties?

--
Barney __________________________
Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

Blinky the Shark

John Dean wrote:
> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part No.

<snip>

If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for it.
Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new M-BJ58
mice are going for about $13US.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

John Dean

Barney wrote:
> "John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
> writtennews:d6q2id$61j$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58,
>> Part No. 830513-1000.
>> Works fine in every respect bar one. In addition to the scroll
>> However, I can't see any help on Logitech's site. Any ideas?

> Bad battery? I use the trackball version but it warns me about low
> battery level. Hmmm. Did you recheck it in the control panel/mouse
> properties?

No battery - it's a corded mouse.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> John Dean wrote:
>> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part
>> No.

> <snip>
>
> If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
> it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new
> M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
things go.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Blinky the Shark

John Dean wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> John Dean wrote:
>>> Have an oldish Logitech optical wheel mouse - Model No. M-BJ58, Part
>>> No.

>> <snip>

>> If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
>> it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that, new
>> M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
> things go.

Report back, willya? Thanks.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Paul B.

John Dean wrote:

> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
> things go.

Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
for instance, is no longer available.

p.

Blinky the Shark

Paul B. wrote:

> John Dean wrote:

>> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
>> things go.

> Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
> for instance, is no longer available.

That's a shame. They used to be really good with 'em.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Paul B. wrote:
>

>>John Dean wrote:

>>>Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see how
>>>things go.

>>Be aware that Logitech has dumbed down their drivers. HyperJump,
>>for instance, is no longer available.

> That's a shame. They used to be really good with 'em.

That's exactly what I told them also. My current mouse is not a
Logitech.

p.

John Dean

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> John Dean wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> If it's an "oldish" mouse, you probably haven't updated drivers for
>>> it. Download and install the latest from Logitech. Failing that,
>>> new M-BJ58 mice are going for about $13US.

>> Good thought. Found a newer driver on the Logitech site and will see
>> how things go.

> Report back, willya? Thanks.

Loaded the new driver. The option to use the "webwheel" function no
longer exists in the configuration menu. So now I've lost it for good
:>{
--
John Dean
Oxford