Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer keeps rebooting

Computer keeps rebooting

Dimble Dumble

Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer and
dumped the problem on me.

I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
proc.

His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a CPU
temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and fitted it

Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.

It does this over and over again.

He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

CG-P

This sounds like my problem - see below !!

Chris
"Dimble Dumble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6nog1$o0g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
> and dumped the problem on me.
>
> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
> proc.
>
> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
> CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
> fitted it
>
> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
>
> It does this over and over again.
>
> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

MrGrumpy

Apart from usual try safe mode.
Control Panel/System/advanced/Start up & Recovery...untick reboot
Perhaps you might now get an err msg

"Dimble Dumble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6nog1$o0g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer

and
> dumped the problem on me.
>
> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
> proc.
>
> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a

CPU
> temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and fitted

it

> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
>
> It does this over and over again.
>
> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

Dimble Dumble

Cheers MRGrumpty, forgot to say in the last one, the machine won't go go
safe mode either

"MrGrumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IeKje.12121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Apart from usual try safe mode.
> Control Panel/System/advanced/Start up & Recovery...untick reboot
> Perhaps you might now get an err msg

Elco

"Dimble Dumble" schreef ...
> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
> and dumped the problem on me.
>
> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
> proc.
>
> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
> CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
> fitted it
>
> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
>
> It does this over and over again.
>
> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

Run chkdsk /r from recovery after starting from the CD...

--
grtz......Elco

Smoker~

"Dimble Dumble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6nog1$o0g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
> and dumped the problem on me.
>
> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
> proc.
>
> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
> CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
> fitted it
>
> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.
>
> It does this over and over again.
>
> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

If the fan is connected to the mobo try using the power supply instead. See
if the system works okay with the fan not connected.

Walter Mautner

Dimble Dumble wrote:

> Cheers MRGrumpty, forgot to say in the last one, the machine won't go go
> safe mode either

Time to boot from a "live-cd" or download some memtest86 bootimage from
bootdisks.com and try with that. Can he get into "recovery console" from
booting off a winxp/2k install cd?

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Blinky the Shark

Smoker~ wrote:

> "Dimble Dumble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6nog1$o0g$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Hi, my mate has just called over to say he has trouble with his computer
>> and dumped the problem on me.

>> I don't have any other information than it is win2k and an amd XP athlon
>> proc.

>> His computer rebooted on him last night but kept working, today he got a
>> CPU temp warning message come up so he went out and got a new fan and
>> fitted it

>> Now when his machine starts it gets to the "starting up" windows 2k screen
>> the progress bar gets to the end and then the machine reboots.

>> It does this over and over again.

>> He had gone out by the time I got the message and I am going over there
>> later, since there isn't much information for you to work with (or me), is
>> there any type of gut feeling about where the problem lies

> If the fan is connected to the mobo try using the power supply instead. See
> if the system works okay with the fan not connected.

I hope he's not talking about the CPU fan (as I read him to be) and
tries to run without it being connected.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Dimble Dumble

No, fan is connected.

Anyway further update:

Ran numerous test couldn't get it to boot.

Used Norton recovery tools to get into system (it booted and stayed up) to
migrate files to external HDD.

Reinstalled w2k ran ok, stayed up all through re-installation of office and
patching.and all other stuff he uses.

Now whether we never had it up long enough for it to reboot or not that it
didn't present it'self, but after installing Norton security suite again,
after about 15 mins or so it reboots it'self. (I had shot out the door
before this happened)

Mate says that it had just done an update somewhere around Thurs / Fri.

Maybe just a coincidence but have told him to go home tonight and uninstall
Norton and see if it runs ok, otherwise I think he is going to use it as an
excuse to the wife to upgrade to an AMD 64 etc