Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reformat

Reformat

Mike Foster

How do I reformat a drive that had Windows XP PE on it? I want to sell a
computer and want to be sure there is no personal information left on any of
the hard drives.

http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/

"Mike Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6nml0$nsk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I reformat a drive that had Windows XP PE on it? I want to sell a
> computer and want to be sure there is no personal information left on any

of
> the hard drives.

reformatting will not get rid of the files,(they can still be recovered) you
need something like EAST-TEC ERASER, run this several times and it will
corrupt all deleted and files on the unused space on the hard drive

Dave Lear

"Mike Foster" wrote in message news:d6nml0$nsk$(E-Mail Removed)

> How do I reformat a drive that had Windows XP PE on it? I want to
> sell a computer and want to be sure there is no personal information
> left on any of the hard drives.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...slipstream.asp

"Mike Foster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6nml0$nsk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I reformat a drive that had Windows XP PE on it? I want to sell
> computer and want to be sure there is no personal information left on
> any of
> the hard drives.

Visit http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/. It also has a wizard to create a
bootable nuke floppy you can use to boot and wipe your disk. I would
suspect ultimatebootcd.com to have similar utilities (if you want to use
a bootable CD instead of a floppy).