Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New PC - test suite

New PC - test suite

Wozzza

I've been building PCs for friends and now its developing into a business.

Is there software (as a CD ROM maybe) that tests:
- speaker (should happen at startup)
- CD->motherboard cable (listening to a cd?)
- front panel USB ports
- CD read/write
- floppy read/write
- disk read/write
( suppose you could load/delete an operating system)
- FSB set correctly
etc.

Knoppix would go some of the way.

Wozza

Parko

Wozzza wrote:

> Knoppix would go some of the way.

And Bart's PE would help too. But I think you'll find Knoppix 3.8 has most
of what you need anyway.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

jazzman2005@bikerider.com

PC Check comes on a bootable floppy (with loopback plugs, test CD +
DVD) and tests all hardware without using the OS. Available from

http://www.eurosoft-uk.com/pc_check.htm

Its very thorough, but fairly expensive although you could justify the
cost if you are serious about building new PC's. You may be able to get
a copy of just the floppy (without the accesories) which can test
motherboard, memory, speaker, keyboard, mouse etc.

Plato

Wozzza wrote:

> Is there software (as a CD ROM maybe) that tests:

Unnecessary. If the windows install goes good and the driver installs go
ok you're pretty much set. You can test the usb easily with a usb mouse,
test the floppy with a disk, and if you want, install a burning program
to test the burner.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Wozzza

Plato wrote:

> Wozzza wrote:
>>
>> Is there software (as a CD ROM maybe) that tests:

> Unnecessary. If the windows install goes good and the driver installs go
> ok you're pretty much set. You can test the usb easily with a usb mouse,
> test the floppy with a disk, and if you want, install a burning program
> to test the burner.

I'll be selling most of these without an OS. I've tried installing a small
linux distro (ubuntu), testing, and deleting the partition it but all this
seems to be taking too long.

What do suburban PC shops do?

http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/

"Wozzza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Plato wrote:
>
> > Wozzza wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there software (as a CD ROM maybe) that tests:

> > Unnecessary. If the windows install goes good and the driver installs go
> > ok you're pretty much set. You can test the usb easily with a usb mouse,
> > test the floppy with a disk, and if you want, install a burning program
> > to test the burner.

> I'll be selling most of these without an OS. I've tried installing a small
> linux distro (ubuntu), testing, and deleting the partition it but all this
> seems to be taking too long.
>
> What do suburban PC shops do?

install windows then tell them that it is installed for testing purposes,
and if they are going to keep it installed then they should register
windows and pay for the licence to register it.

Plato

Wozzza wrote:

> >> Is there software (as a CD ROM maybe) that tests:

> > Unnecessary. If the windows install goes good and the driver installs go
> > ok you're pretty much set. You can test the usb easily with a usb mouse,
> > test the floppy with a disk, and if you want, install a burning program
> > to test the burner.

> I'll be selling most of these without an OS. I've tried installing a small
> linux distro (ubuntu), testing, and deleting the partition it but all this
> seems to be taking too long.
>
> What do suburban PC shops do?

As you know when designing a system, it takes some experience/time to
get the right menu of parts that you know will work together with no
problems. Once you have that done and have tested a unit, then it's
pretty much safe to assume that additional units with the same parts
will work just as well.