Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop security

laptop security

mat

I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of personal
info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there any ways of
preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard drive? I take
it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is not going to stop
anyone other than a 5 year old kid.

I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land me
in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing but
it would have to be:

1. legal
2. accident proof

Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

Toolman Tim

"mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
> personal info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there any
> ways of preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard drive?
> I take it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is not going
> to stop anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>
> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land
> me in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing
> but it would have to be:
>
> 1. legal
> 2. accident proof
>
> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

Depending on the model of laptop, there are up to 4 built-in security
features that I'm familar with, besides Windows security.

1) the newer ones have SD security, or fingerprint readers, etc. I assume
you don't have one like that, or you wouldn't be asking this question <g>

2) BIOS level password protection (three possible options that I'm aware
of - not all are available on all laptops). A) System setup password, B)
user password, C) hard drive password. Set all that you have. The computer
will not boot without the user having the password. The hard drive password
prevents removing the hard drive and using it in a different system to gain
access (or that's the theory anyway.)

Windows XP itself has pretty good security. Tighten it up.

1) boot into safe mode (F8 right after the POST) and set a STRONG password
(9 characters using some of each: upper and lower case, numbers, special
characters - ^$%, etc.) on ALL accounts - adminstrator and user accounts.
Turn OFF the guest account.

2) When doing the above you will be asked if you want to make file private -
the answer is YES.

3) encrypt your data folders (XP pro only, IIRC)

4) Password protect individual files. Just about every program that I've
seen which is used to handle confidential data has some method of password
protection built in. I use that for Excel (budget, personal financial data
list, password list) and Word (journal, private documents) and Quicken.

I have all my files of the above type kept separately - a special folder
(actually, a breifcase for easy backups to my USB drive.)

Stevo

mat wrote:
> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
> personal info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are
> there any ways of preventing anyone from getting to the contents of
> the hard drive? I take it that the password I have to enter when XP
> starts up is not going to stop anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>
> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could
> land me in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self
> destructing but it would have to be:
>
> 1. legal
> 2. accident proof
>
> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

As well as securing your data, take the initial step of securing the
laptop itself. Get a good, motion sensor alarm type of Kensington lock
device and use it. Also look at a secure bag, such as a Pacsafe day bag,
which is covered steel mesh with a locking cable that can be secured to
some fixed object depending where you happen to be leaving it. I use one
of these, securing the bag to the car seat when it's left in the car
(with the Kensington lock fitted as well) or to a fixed object in a
motel room when there. I leave the Kensington lock fitted and alarmed
when sleeping as well! Having lost one laptop through burglary, with
essential business data on it, I am not going to lose another one!

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Aquanaut

"mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
> personal info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there any
> ways of preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard drive?
> I take it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is not going
> to stop anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>
> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land
> me in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing
> but it would have to be:
>
> 1. legal
> 2. accident proof
>
> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

have you thought about not taking it with you?--or are you a control freak?
any pertinant data could easily be accessed via a bit of ftp storage,or some
equaly viable means---just use the cafe internet.
A holiday is meant to be time out with the nearest and dearest---not using
the wireless connection on a beach
Get a life
your wife and kids will thank you for it

Cubzilla

news:eRMie.23757$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
>> personal info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there
>> any ways of preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard
>> drive? I take it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is
>> not going to stop anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>>
>> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land
>> me in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing
>> but it would have to be:
>>
>> 1. legal
>> 2. accident proof
>>
>> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.
>>

> Depending on the model of laptop, there are up to 4 built-in security
> features that I'm familar with, besides Windows security.
>
> 1) the newer ones have SD security, or fingerprint readers, etc. I assume
> you don't have one like that, or you wouldn't be asking this question <g>
>
> 2) BIOS level password protection (three possible options that I'm aware
> of - not all are available on all laptops). A) System setup password, B)
> user password, C) hard drive password. Set all that you have. The computer
> will not boot without the user having the password. The hard drive
> password prevents removing the hard drive and using it in a different
> system to gain access (or that's the theory anyway.)
>
> Windows XP itself has pretty good security. Tighten it up.
>
> 1) boot into safe mode (F8 right after the POST) and set a STRONG password
> (9 characters using some of each: upper and lower case, numbers, special
> characters - ^$%, etc.) on ALL accounts - adminstrator and user accounts.
> Turn OFF the guest account.
>
> 2) When doing the above you will be asked if you want to make file
> private - the answer is YES.
>
> 3) encrypt your data folders (XP pro only, IIRC)
>
> 4) Password protect individual files. Just about every program that I've
> seen which is used to handle confidential data has some method of password
> protection built in. I use that for Excel (budget, personal financial data
> list, password list) and Word (journal, private documents) and Quicken.
>
> I have all my files of the above type kept separately - a special folder
> (actually, a breifcase for easy backups to my USB drive.)

Sorry but if the disk is moved across to a another machine any file not
encripted will be accessible

take a look at http://www.pointsec.com/core/default.asp

This is used to encript all the date on the disk and need a ekey to unlock

Cub

ellis_jay

http://www.synet.biz/nTracker/index.htm

http://www.targus.com/us/accessories_security.asp

http://www.microsaver.com/

http://www.roadwired.com/store/categ...m?categoryid=8

http://www.ztrace.com/

http://www.absolute.com/public/main/default.asp

--
He released government from the restraint of law.
____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

Ellis_Jay

JANA

Set up the laptop to require a password to log in. Keep your valuable
information files on a memory stick, that you can always keep in your
pocket.

--

JANA
_____

"mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of personal
info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there any ways of
preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard drive? I take
it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is not going to stop
anyone other than a 5 year old kid.

I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land me
in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing but
it would have to be:

1. legal
2. accident proof

Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

mat

Do you know that I will be anywhere near an internet cafe? That I want
access to the internet? That I have a wife and kids? That I need your advice
on how to get a life? Sad weirdo....

"Aquanaut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z5Nie.15553$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
>> personal info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there
>> any ways of preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard
>> drive? I take it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is
>> not going to stop anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>>
>> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land
>> me in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing
>> but it would have to be:
>>
>> 1. legal
>> 2. accident proof
>>
>> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.
>>

> have you thought about not taking it with you?--or are you a control
> freak?
> any pertinant data could easily be accessed via a bit of ftp storage,or
> some equaly viable means---just use the cafe internet.
> A holiday is meant to be time out with the nearest and dearest---not using
> the wireless connection on a beach
> Get a life
> your wife and kids will thank you for it

mat

Can I keep 15GB of photos on a memory stick? I have a feeling that I would
need a necklace with 20 sticks dangling off it!

"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Set up the laptop to require a password to log in. Keep your valuable
> information files on a memory stick, that you can always keep in your
> pocket.
>
> --
>
> JANA
> _____
>

> "mat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d6g4k9$df$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> I'm going on holiday and taking a laptop with me. It's got lots of
> personal
> info on it and I am worried about it being stolen. Are there any ways of
> preventing anyone from getting to the contents of the hard drive? I take
> it that the password I have to enter when XP starts up is not going to
> stop
> anyone other than a 5 year old kid.
>
> I don't want a "mission impossible" style self destruct as it could land
> me
> in trouble. I don't have a problem with the computer self destructing but
> it would have to be:
>
> 1. legal
> 2. accident proof
>
> Any imaginative suggestions welcome.

MrGrumpy

Lastly - passwords, wonderfull if you forget them

news:d6gi8v$g5t$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...