Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Western Digital USB drive help please

Western Digital USB drive help please

cotehill@gmail.com

5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
Laptop.

Thanks Neil

Ghostrider

> 5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> Laptop.
>
> Thanks Neil

When plugged into the computer, is the WD USB drive seen
in Disk Management? What about by another computer?

old jon

What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer, you prove
whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the power
is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk management to
see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow down the
fault. best wishes..J

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

cotehill@gmail.com

old jon wrote:
> What Gr says applies. If you can try the unit in another computer,

you prove
> whether its a laptop software problem or the USB unit. (we assume the

power
> is OK on the USB ?. So like Gr says, check in Admin Tools\Disk

management to
> see whether it shows up. The secret to success is to try to narrow

down the
> fault. best wishes..J
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> > try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> > Laptop.
> >
> > Thanks Neil

Thanks for the replies. Drive does not show up in Disk Management. Also
tried it connected to my other laptop but no success. The power and
data leds are on constantly but no access.

old jon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>5 months out of warranty and now cannot access. Any tips or hints to
> try and get it working again please? Running XP SP2 on a Toshiba
> Laptop.
>
> Thanks Neil

Hi Neil. next step. Download hard drive test tools from WD. Make floppy
disk, or CD if it is an option. You`ve then got to get the drive out of it`s
USB and install into a PC, Install in place of existing HD and run the tests
on it. I offer this as a suggestion only, `cos I don`t think the tools will
even find the USB unit. I hope someone knows better `cos that`s the best I
can offer. My best wishes..J