Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > POWER SURGE ON USB PORT

POWER SURGE ON USB PORT

Pradel Family

Hi,
I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):

"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"
and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and a
few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the
power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and
press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have to
completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before the
computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage to make
it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it often takes
several goes to get the printer to respond.

I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I
getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).

I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a
Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed the
problem, but it doesn't.

Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.

Sheri

Avengerę

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:58:35 +1200, "Pradel Family"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):
>
>"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."
>
>When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"
>and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and a
>few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the
>power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and
>press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have to
>completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before the
>computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage to make
>it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it often takes
>several goes to get the printer to respond.
>
>I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I
>getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
>problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).
>
>I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a
>Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed the
>problem, but it doesn't.
>
>Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.
>
>Sheri

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the USB device/s
are drawing too much power for your laptop power supply/battery and
causing the system to crash.
--
Avengerę
I *HATE* Spam

Steve Stone

"Avengerę" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:58:35 +1200, "Pradel Family"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):
>>
>>"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

Purchase a powered USB hub and use it between your computer and the USB
devices.

pcbutts1

Steve and Avenger are both right. Your laptop's USB ports do not supply
enough power to operate both the scanner and the printer. You need a powered
USB hub. USB ports supply 500ma maximum of power, your printer and scanner
together need more then that.

"Pradel Family" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v7kie.662$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):
>
> "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."
>
> When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"
> and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and
> a few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the
> power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and
> press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have
> to completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before
> the computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage
> to make it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it
> often takes several goes to get the printer to respond.
>
> I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I
> getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
> problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).
>
> I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a
> Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed
> the problem, but it doesn't.
>
> Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.
>
> Sheri

poojaarora2k poojaarora2k is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradel Family
[...]

hi all,
My problem is Im getting this message with no USB device connected.
My laptop is showing this message from a couple of days .
When I click on that message it says unknown USb device and when I hit reset for that, the message appears again after some time
please tell me where the problem is .
Its very strange to see the message when no USB device is plugged in!...
Please throw some light into this matter.
Thanks
Pooja

Power strips/Surge protectors rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 18 09-08-2006 01:00 AM
PC shuts down by itself following power surge incident Jimmy Dean Computer Support 26 04-05-2005 10:45 PM
power surge paul Computer Support 6 11-17-2004 02:03 AM
UPS or surge suppressor for power filtering? Sid Computer Support 2 09-09-2004 03:28 PM
How to force PIII to power on w/ surge switch WCH Computer Support 8 05-03-2004 08:35 PM

Advertisments