Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Moving GBs of data over wireless

Moving GBs of data over wireless

ng_reader

I have a newbie type question:

Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
802.1b NetGear wireless router?

I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via the
ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that means,
couldn't I?

But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

Unk

On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a newbie type question:
>
>Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
>802.1b NetGear wireless router?
>
>I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via the
>ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

Why not? What was the error message?

>So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that means,
>couldn't I?
>
>But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
>doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up sharing correctly on
both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of you, or the default.

ng_reader

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >I have a newbie type question:
> >
> >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
> >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
> >
> >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

the
> >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

> Why not? What was the error message?
> >
> >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

means,
> >couldn't I?
> >
> >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
> >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
> >

> You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

sharing correctly on
> both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

you, or the default.

I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like that.

As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)

So, I don't think that's it.

Unk

On Sun, 15 May 2005 23:04:53 -0400, "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>wrote:
>>
>> >I have a newbie type question:
>> >
>> >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
>> >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
>> >
>> >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

>the
>> >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

>> Why not? What was the error message?
>> >
>> >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

>means,
>> >couldn't I?
>> >
>> >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
>> >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
>> >

>> You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

>sharing correctly on
>> both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

>you, or the default.
>
>I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like that.
>
>As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
>system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
>allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)
>
>So, I don't think that's it.

Click Start, "Log Off" whoever, and log back on as "administrator". Shut down, reboot and you
should have administrator rights on the ME box when it restartes.

Toolman Tim

"ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:49:38 -0400, "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a newbie type question:
>> >
>> >Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
>> >802.1b NetGear wireless router?
>> >
>> >I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

> the
>> >ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

>> Why not? What was the error message?
>> >
>> >So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that

> means,
>> >couldn't I?
>> >
>> >But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go
>> >about
>> >doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
>> >

>> You should be able to copy files either way over the LAN, if you set up

> sharing correctly on
>> both machines. Try logging on the ME box as the administrator instead of

> you, or the default.
>
> I did get an error message telling I COULD NOT copy, or something like
> that.
>
> As for ME, it doesn't have "rights privileges" as part of it's operating
> system. The only thing it does have, are personalities or something, which
> allow your machine to remember passwords (thanks Microsoft!)
>
> So, I don't think that's it.

Okay - so how about the EXACT error message? And can you copy small files
okay? Did you run the Windows XP Home Networking Setup Wizard?

Old Gringo

ng_reader wrote:
> I have a newbie type question:
>
> Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
> 802.1b NetGear wireless router?
>
> I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via the
> ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.
>
> So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that means,
> couldn't I?
>
> But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
> doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

Know nothing about it. 14 day free trial ??
http://www.filesdirect.com/info/Defa...x?Aff=adword01
Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)

"ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a newbie type question:
>
> Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
> 802.1b NetGear wireless router?

Yeah, you can do it and might take you the next 15 or more hours to do it
with wireless. And there is always the chance the ME machine crash if it has
the wireless setup. Or there could be some other reason as to why the
wireless as been interrupted that killed the connection. A wire connection
will have it done in 1/4 the time and is more stable. Wireless is slower
than wire especially since wireless *B* is only pushing at 11 Mbps max if
you're lucky as opposed to a wire connection from the router pushing data at
100 Mbps if the NIC is a 100 Mbps NIC. Heck even a 10 Mbps NIC is better
than a wireless NIC pushing ay 11 if you're lucky.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp

The router has a built in switch on the wire ethernet side of the router.

You may also want to check out Network speeds.

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

> So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
> means,
> couldn't I?

You could always buy some FTP software.

> But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
> doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)

You can go buy some FTP software. There may be some FTP software that is
free.

I suggest you do MS File and Print Sharing on the MS O/S(s), use a wire
connection which is more stable than wireless and won't be interrupted like
wireless can be and it doesn't take much to interrupt wireless, and transfer
or download large amounts with a wire connection because it's faster and
more stable.

Duane

Old Gringo

Old Gringo wrote:
> ng_reader wrote:
>
>> I have a newbie type question:
>>
>> Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
>> 802.1b NetGear wireless router?
>>
>> I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via
>> the
>> ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.
>>
>> So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
>> means,
>> couldn't I?
>>
>> But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go about
>> doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
>>

> Know nothing about it. 14 day free trial ??
> http://www.filesdirect.com/info/Defa...x?Aff=adword01
> Good Luck

Here is another one:
http://www.qnext.com/downloads/qnext/

--

"Hate K-CSC -- Duane " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a newbie type question:
> >
> > Can I FTP a 4.3GB file over my LAN from an XP to an ME machine over my
> > 802.1b NetGear wireless router?

> Yeah, you can do it and might take you the next 15 or more hours to do it
> with wireless. And there is always the chance the ME machine crash if it

has
> the wireless setup. Or there could be some other reason as to why the
> wireless as been interrupted that killed the connection. A wire connection
> will have it done in 1/4 the time and is more stable. Wireless is slower
> than wire especially since wireless *B* is only pushing at 11 Mbps max if
> you're lucky as opposed to a wire connection from the router pushing data

at
> 100 Mbps if the NIC is a 100 Mbps NIC. Heck even a 10 Mbps NIC is better
> than a wireless NIC pushing ay 11 if you're lucky.
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/index.asp
>
> The router has a built in switch on the wire ethernet side of the router.
>
> You may also want to check out Network speeds.
>

> > I set the share up on the XP (source) machine, and I browsed to it via

the
> > ME (target), but I was not able to copy it over.

> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>

> > So, I reckon I could _F_ile _T_ransport _P_rotocol it. Whatever that
> > means,
> > couldn't I?

> You could always buy some FTP software.
>

> > But of course, if in fact I *can* do that, exactly how would one go

about
> > doing, well, just that? (setting up FTP, and all, y'know?)
> >

> You can go buy some FTP software. There may be some FTP software that is
> free.
>
> I suggest you do MS File and Print Sharing on the MS O/S(s), use a wire
> connection which is more stable than wireless and won't be interrupted

like
> wireless can be and it doesn't take much to interrupt wireless, and

transfer
> or download large amounts with a wire connection because it's faster and
> more stable.
>
> Duane

Thanks Duane. Sort of a brain fart. How am I supposed to think you're to
*pay* for software???

I reckon I was under the impression that FTP software was something I had to
just "turn on" within windows running TCP-IP. Now, I reckon, not.

Yes, I do realize that having a copper connection will be more reliable and
faster. However, that's not a viable option.

As for the exact error, I forget what it was. But, it was on the order of
when you want a very large file erased (if I remember correctly) I can't put
it in the recycle bin, it will just be deleted. Sort of along those lines,
savvy?

I'll continue. And review those links for FTP stuff. I do remember having a
cute-ftp disc somewhere...

Old Gringo

Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Old Gringo wrote:

>> Know nothing about it. 14 day free trial ??
>> http://www.filesdirect.com/info/Defa...x?Aff=adword01
>> Good Luck
>>

> Here is another one:
> http://www.qnext.com/downloads/qnext/