Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > One of my programs "ran away!"...

One of my programs "ran away!"...

WF

I just got back from a short trip and turned on the computer. It said
new updates were ready to download. Got them, tried to install, but
got the following message:

"The following updates were not successfully installed: VIA
Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter"

I checked the start menu, but it wasn't there anymore, however, I did
find a new kids' game on it. Apparently, as my nephew informed me,
after a few hours under a hot light, he loaded it on to try it out,
then removed it. Obviously, he removed the wrong program. His little
brother said it must have "ran away". Good thing all the important
stuff is on my laptop..
Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this program again? Any help
will be appreciated

pcbutts1

That is not a program it is hardware, your network card. You have some
choices. Keep trying to install it or just ignore it if your connection to
the internet is working fine. You can also go to VIA and update the driver.

"WF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just got back from a short trip and turned on the computer. It said
> new updates were ready to download. Got them, tried to install, but
> got the following message:
>
> "The following updates were not successfully installed: VIA
> Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter"
>
> I checked the start menu, but it wasn't there anymore, however, I did
> find a new kids' game on it. Apparently, as my nephew informed me,
> after a few hours under a hot light, he loaded it on to try it out,
> then removed it. Obviously, he removed the wrong program. His little
> brother said it must have "ran away". Good thing all the important
> stuff is on my laptop..
> Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this program again? Any help
> will be appreciated

FML

WF spewed forth...

> I just got back from a short trip and turned on the computer. It said
> new updates were ready to download. Got them, tried to install, but
> got the following message:
>
> "The following updates were not successfully installed: VIA
> Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter"
>
> I checked the start menu, but it wasn't there anymore, however, I did
> find a new kids' game on it. Apparently, as my nephew informed me,
> after a few hours under a hot light, he loaded it on to try it out,
> then removed it. Obviously, he removed the wrong program. His little
> brother said it must have "ran away". Good thing all the important
> stuff is on my laptop..
> Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this program again? Any help
> will be appreciated

Sounds like Windows Update has a new driver for your network card. If it
didn't install successfully, you should be able to go to Windows Update and
it should be there for you to install. Why it failed is another question.

Of course, if your network card is working, why update the driver? As we
say in Texas: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

old jon

That`s darn good advice from Texas. Try to get the files you need from VIA,
If you do need them. best wishes..J

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> WF spewed forth...
>
>> I just got back from a short trip and turned on the computer. It said
>> new updates were ready to download. Got them, tried to install, but
>> got the following message:
>>
>> "The following updates were not successfully installed: VIA
>> Technologies Inc. - Networking - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter"
>>
>> I checked the start menu, but it wasn't there anymore, however, I did
>> find a new kids' game on it. Apparently, as my nephew informed me,
>> after a few hours under a hot light, he loaded it on to try it out,
>> then removed it. Obviously, he removed the wrong program. His little
>> brother said it must have "ran away". Good thing all the important
>> stuff is on my laptop..
>> Anyway, does anyone know where I can find this program again? Any help
>> will be appreciated
>>

> Sounds like Windows Update has a new driver for your network card. If it
> didn't install successfully, you should be able to go to Windows Update
> and
> it should be there for you to install. Why it failed is another question.
>
> Of course, if your network card is working, why update the driver? As we
> say in Texas: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

WF

This is puzzling. I used DriverGuide Toolkit on my machine and it
tells me no driver upgrades are needed. So the drivers are okay. So if
it's not the driver what could it be? I know I saw something about the
Via Ethernet networking adapter on the computers add-remove list, but
it's no longer there and updates says it can't update it, so
something's missing. The Windows' update site is totally useless. They
passed me off to the Via networkand they ran me in circles.