Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mandrake 10.1

Mandrake 10.1

Rich Dunajewski

When I try to install the 10.1 Official release on an older laptop, the
installer can't find the CD-ROM drive. It asks for the additional
drivers floppy, but the diskmaker doesn't make a second disk. So the
boot floppy gets me to the install menu, then can't detect the CD drive.
When looking for the drivers on the 2nd floppy, I'm at a dead end. I
also tried to put the installation directly on the hard disk, so I could
install from there. Errors about detecting a disk drive. The PC doesn't
have 64MB of RAM, so it can't install from HTTP or FTP (both I can run
locally). That left a file server, which the installation can't mount
the directory (it connects to the server fine, just refuses to mount the
folder). As of right now, I don't see an option except try to get the
program that should make the additional drivers floppy, or upgrade the
CD-ROM. Could it be that the computer is too old? (should be from 98-99)
I figured a Linux laptop would be great, since Windows would clog that
processor in no time. Ideas?

Rich

why?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:05:13 -0400, Rich Dunajewski wrote:

>When I try to install the 10.1 Official release on an older laptop, the
>installer can't find the CD-ROM drive. It asks for the additional
>drivers floppy, but the diskmaker doesn't make a second disk. So the

Don't know about diskmaker but if it's like RH and other versions I have
used.

Then what's stopping you running the DOS utility rawrite or rawritewin
like this ,

\dosutils\rawrite ..\install\images\cdrom.img

similar for any aditional images you need.

>boot floppy gets me to the install menu, then can't detect the CD drive.
>When looking for the drivers on the 2nd floppy, I'm at a dead end. I
>also tried to put the installation directly on the hard disk, so I could
>install from there. Errors about detecting a disk drive. The PC doesn't
>have 64MB of RAM, so it can't install from HTTP or FTP (both I can run
>locally). That left a file server, which the installation can't mount
>the directory (it connects to the server fine, just refuses to mount the
>folder). As of right now, I don't see an option except try to get the

As NFS you mean?

>program that should make the additional drivers floppy, or upgrade the
>CD-ROM. Could it be that the computer is too old? (should be from 98-99)
>I figured a Linux laptop would be great, since Windows would clog that
>processor in no time. Ideas?

Lots of docs, on the old site try the new one
http://www.mandriva.com/

Also www.google.com for

mandrake howto

mandrake howto install

mandrake howto laptops

There are lots of places to check laptop compatability.

Another Google search leads to
www.linux-laptop.net
www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html
www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html

Me

philo

"Rich Dunajewski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gjLhe.10636$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to install the 10.1 Official release on an older laptop, the
> installer can't find the CD-ROM drive. It asks for the additional drivers
> floppy, but the diskmaker doesn't make a second disk. So the boot floppy
> gets me to the install menu, then can't detect the CD drive. When looking
> for the drivers on the 2nd floppy, I'm at a dead end. I also tried to put
> the installation directly on the hard disk, so I could install from there.
> Errors about detecting a disk drive. The PC doesn't have 64MB of RAM, so
> it can't install from HTTP or FTP (both I can run locally). That left a
> file server, which the installation can't mount the directory (it connects
> to the server fine, just refuses to mount the folder). As of right now, I
> don't see an option except try to get the program that should make the
> additional drivers floppy, or upgrade the CD-ROM. Could it be that the
> computer is too old? (should be from 98-99) I figured a Linux laptop would
> be great, since Windows would clog that processor in no time. Ideas?

getting hardware support to run linux on some laptops can certainly cause
problems. it your laptop does not even have 64 megs of ram...
running linux in the gui mode would be rather slow anyway

Parko

Rich Dunajewski wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

> When I try to install the 10.1 Official release on an older laptop, the
> installer can't find the CD-ROM drive. It asks for the additional
> drivers floppy, but the diskmaker doesn't make a second disk. So the
> boot floppy gets me to the install menu, then can't detect the CD drive.
> When looking for the drivers on the 2nd floppy, I'm at a dead end. I
> also tried to put the installation directly on the hard disk, so I could
> install from there. Errors about detecting a disk drive. The PC doesn't
> have 64MB of RAM, so it can't install from HTTP or FTP (both I can run
> locally). That left a file server, which the installation can't mount
> the directory (it connects to the server fine, just refuses to mount the
> folder). As of right now, I don't see an option except try to get the
> program that should make the additional drivers floppy, or upgrade the
> CD-ROM. Could it be that the computer is too old? (should be from 98-99)
> I figured a Linux laptop would be great, since Windows would clog that
> processor in no time. Ideas?
>
> Rich

Knowing the brand and model of the offending lappy would help of course. Try
installing in text mode, you may not have enough memory installed to create
a RAM disc for the installer. You did check the MD5sums of the CD ISOs I
assume. If that's OK burn your ISOs at 2X and try again. The installer
should be seeing the CD-ROM as an SCSI device. You can load the required
driver onto a floppy and load it from there. Good luck, and select IceWM,
Blackbox or WindowMaker as your window manager.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Blinky the Shark

Rich Dunajewski wrote:

> When I try to install the 10.1 Official release on an older laptop, the

Might want to check into alt.os.linux.mandrake.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263