Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Six Quick Mozilla/Firefox Questions

Six Quick Mozilla/Firefox Questions

Julie P.

I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
IE's share slipping, btw:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)

Questions:

1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
email and newsgroups.

2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
like I did with IE6?

4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
toolbar box?

5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?

6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
least according to this:

How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

Julie

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Julie P. wrote:
> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
> but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
> how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
> version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
> IE's share slipping, btw:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
> email and newsgroups.

No.

> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

Well, I usually set it to about 50 megs.

> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
> like I did with IE6?

Well, you can hold down the shift key ... but

> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
> it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
> toolbar box?

eeahhuurhhhh....

> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
> me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?

A little Mazola for your Mozilla

> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
> least according to this:
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
>
> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

Yeah, me too.

Whew! Anyone ever tell you that your're high maintenance?

Julie P.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Julie P. wrote:
>> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
>> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a
>> while, but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6,
>> except to see how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and
>> Opera 8 (free version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this
>> CNN article about IE's share slipping, btw:
>>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
>> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
>> email and newsgroups.

> No.
>
>> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?

> Well, I usually set it to about 50 megs.

Ok, I guess I can go a little higher. I used to have an account on a
Unix/Sun server, and had only about 20 MB of space, so the manager
recommended setting your maximum cache on Netscape 4.77 to 2 MB back then.

>> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
>> like I did with IE6?

> Well, you can hold down the shift key ... but
>
>> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I
>> had it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen
>> the toolbar box?

> eeahhuurhhhh....
>
>> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
>> causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge
>> this?

> A little Mazola for your Mozilla
>
>> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla",
>> at least according to this:
>>
>> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>>
>> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
>>
>> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!

> Yeah, me too.
>

> Whew! Anyone ever tell you that your're high maintenance?

Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it being too
obsessive.
I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or Europe!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Julie P. wrote:
> Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it being too
> obsessive.
> I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or Europe!

I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

Brian

Rgr wrote:

>> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4

[snip]
>> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs

[snip]
> No.

No, BUT, you'll most likely find NO spyware anyway as a result of
switching to Firefox. I just did yet another spyware scan and came
up totally clean again after another three months surfing with FF!

Scraggy

Rgr wrote:
> Julie P. wrote:
>> Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it
>> being too obsessive.
>> I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or
>> Europe!

> I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?
--
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even
smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose

Old Gringo

Julie P. wrote:
> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
> but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
> how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
> version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article about
> IE's share slipping, btw:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
> email and newsgroups.
>
> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
>
> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
> like I did with IE6?
>
> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
> it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
> toolbar box?
>
> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is causing
> me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?
>
> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
> least according to this:
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
>
> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
>
> Julie

Good Morning Julie P. I would like to suggest Thunderbird:
To go along with FireFox. Great companion. Nice email and news reader.
Good Luck

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Joel Rubin

On Sun, 15 May 2005 04:27:57 -0400, "Julie P."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
>least according to this:
>
>http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
>How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Mozilla is from the same people who make Firefox. The main difference
between NN and Mozilla is that Mozilla is open source - anyone can
download the source code and a few geniuses can actually suggest
modifications or fixes. They already share a lot of source code.

If you already have both NN and Firefox you probably don't need
Mozilla, unless you are collecting software.

http://www.mozilla.org

Parko

Julie P. wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

> I have just switched from IE6 to Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4, and am absolutely
> thrilled! Thanks everyone for recommending this to me! It took me a while,
> but I finally took the plunge and will never go back to IE6, except to see
> how my webpages look there. I also downloaded NN 7.2 and Opera 8 (free
> version), btw. (The catalyst to get me to change was this CNN article
> about IE's share slipping, btw:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html)

> Questions:
>
> 1) Can I now delete my anti-spyware programs, such as Ad-Aware, SpyBot
> S&D,etc.? I still use IE6 and Netscape occasionally, as well as OE6 for
> email and newsgroups.
>
> 2) I have set my maximum cache to 2000 KB (= 2MB). Is this too small?
>
> 3) Is there any way to force Firefox to refresh everytime I visit a page,
> like I did with IE6?
>
> 4) The built-in google toolbar is too small, horizontally. With IE6, I had
> it stretch across half the browser page. Is there anyway to lengthen the
> toolbar box?
>
> 5) The back button is also too small when compared to IE6's. This is
> causing me to misclick on a regular basis. Is there a way to enlarge this?
>
> 6) I also heard there is another Windows browser called just "Mozilla", at
> least according to this:
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> How do I download this? I couldn't find it anywhere.
>
> Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow!
>
> Julie

A couple of points. Spyware can still get onto your system through installed
programs. Type 'about:config' in the Firefox address bar to open up and
manually edit the configuration files for Firefox. Promptly visit Firefox
Extensions and install a few of the neato plugins. Adblock, TinyURLcreator
are two good ones to begin with. Themes will install new icon sets and is
worth a look. The default browser cache for Firefox is 50000kb, not 2000kb.
The Mozilla browser/Email/Newsreader/HTML editor is now discontinued, and
has been replaced by Firefox and Thunderbird. Netscape Navigator is so sad
it doesn't deserve further comment.

Finally, go here: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/
Look at 'Tips and Tricks' to change the size of the Google Search bar
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Scraggy wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>> Julie P. wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I like to call it being a perfectionist, though some call it
>>> being too obsessive.
>>> I guess you're a night owl too--either that, or live in Hawaii or
>>> Europe!

>> I'm on the west coast of Virginia.

> I'm only a Brit but ??!! Err.. East? or are you on the peninsula?

What, don't you think I know where I am? I'm near the mighty Powell
River. On a clear day you can see Kentucky and Tennessee from here.

six six six the number of the beast:-) Tzorzakakis Dimitrios Digital Photography 0 06-20-2009 05:03 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM
PanasonicBQ390 "quick" charger - How quick? Ol' Bab Digital Photography 1 01-17-2004 06:54 AM
Re: Roswell: Fifty-Six Years Of Unanswered Questions Rev. Quentin P. Johannas Computer Support 1 10-08-2003 11:21 AM

Advertisments