Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't format drive

Can't format drive

Marc

Dell PII, 500
384 Mb ram

All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k

- Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
HSFS?? partition

- Can't delete non-DOS partition/format

- Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working except
maybe a bit fast.

- Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was partitioned
(full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.

- Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
again.

- Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.

- Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.

- Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data shredding
standards. No go.

- All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.

- Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.

- Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.

- Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.

Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?

x@y

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Dell PII, 500
> 384 Mb ram
>
> All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k
>

> - Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
> HSFS?? partition
>
> - Can't delete non-DOS partition/format
>
> - Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working
> except maybe a bit fast.
>
> - Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was
> partitioned (full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.
>
> - Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
> partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
> MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
> again.
>
> - Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.
>
> - Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.
>
> - Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data
> shredding standards. No go.
>
> - All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.
>
> - Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.
>
> - Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.
>
> - Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.
>

> Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?

Hi Marc,

Here are some ideas from Google:

http://tinyurl.com/aagu6

Good Luck x@y.

Taur

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dell PII, 500
> 384 Mb ram
>
> All ran fine with original 20 GbMaxtor drive, Windows 2k
>

> - Removed a13 Gb drive from another machine. This had Windows 98 in some
> HSFS?? partition
>
> - Can't delete non-DOS partition/format
>
> - Attempted to format NTFS using MaxBlast. Seemed like it was working

except
> maybe a bit fast.
>
> - Tried to boot from 2k CD and start install. Claimed drive was

partitioned
> (full 13 Gb) and couldn't install.
>
> - Looked at drive with fdisk. Deleted non-DOS partition. Attempted to
> partition allowing the 8 Gb limit thinking that I would fix that with
> MaxBlast next. Ran MaxBlast again, seemed to be working but a bit fast
> again.
>
> - Again tried to install 2k. Still no go.
>
> - Next booted from 98 floppy to try to install 98. No go.
>
> - Used a couple of programs that claimed to wipe drive to DoD data

shredding
> standards. No go.
>
> - All through this drive has a Windows directory and drivers on it.
>
> - Used Power Max to write zero's. Still no good.
>
> - Went in and found and found a non DOS partition again. Deleted.
>
> - Tried an XP disk to try to format. Still no good.
>

> Any ideas (other than tossing the drive)?

Use aefdisk or super fdisk, non regisered versions will partition your
drive to full capacity.