Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Back arrow greyed out in My Computer.

Back arrow greyed out in My Computer.

JohnQ

Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with SP2.
How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
thank you
John Q.

pcbutts1

Where are you going to go back to? My Computer is the root directory.

"JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d64m4s$jra$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with
> SP2. How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
> thank you
> John Q.

Toolman Tim

Yeah - he has to go forward before he can go back <g>

news:L2ohe.3049$3%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Where are you going to go back to? My Computer is the root directory.

> "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d64m4s$jra$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with
>> SP2. How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
>> thank you
>> John Q.

JohnQ

Think about it Wise Guys If I go to My Computer I can access all
directories from there and browse through files and other drives.
John Q.
news:4hohe.16171$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah - he has to go forward before he can go back <g>
>
> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L2ohe.3049$3%(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Where are you going to go back to? My Computer is the root directory.
>>
>> --

>> "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d64m4s$jra$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>> Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with
>>> SP2. How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
>>> thank you
>>> John Q.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with SP2.
|>How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.

No clue, but a work around.

Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.

If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.

JohnQ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> |>Back Arrow has become greyed out in My Computer. I am using XP Pro with
> SP2.
> |>How do I restore the function, it works OK in IE.
>
> No clue, but a work around.
>
> Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.

It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

> If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.

I have not knowingly altered anything.
John Q.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:28:25 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

|>> SP2.

|>> No clue, but a work around.
|>>
|>> Use WinKey+E next time you want to open My computer.
|>
|>It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
|>some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

|>> If this doesn't work someone has set a group policy preventing this.
|>I have not knowingly altered anything.

WinKey+E wouldn't of work'd if there were a policy set.

Another work around; The duct tape approach...

Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
in the target area copy and paste:
EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
window.

Click on this instead of "my computer"

JohnQ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:28:25 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> |><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> with

> |>It works OK that way. I can also navigate using Windows Explorer but for
> |>some reason I have always preferred to explore via My Computer.

> |>I have not knowingly altered anything.
>
> WinKey+E wouldn't of work'd if there were a policy set.
>
> Another work around; The duct tape approach...
>
> Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
> Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
> in the target area copy and paste:
> EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
>
> Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
> window.
>
> Click on this instead of "my computer"
>
> --

How do I link it to explorer.exe?
John Q

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:01:26 +0000 (UTC), "JohnQ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>> Another work around; The duct tape approach...
|>>
|>> Create a new short-cut call it whatever ( "My NewComputer")
|>> Link it to explorer.exe, when done right click the icon, properties,
|>> in the target area copy and paste:
|>> EXPLORER.EXE /e,::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
|>>
|>> Edit the /e in or out depending if you want a single or double pane
|>> window.
|>>
|>> Click on this instead of "my computer"
|>>

|>How do I link it to explorer.exe?

Right click desktop, create new short-cut, follow the prompts.

dadiOH

JohnQ wrote:
> Think about it Wise Guys If I go to My Computer I can access all
> directories from there and browse through files and other drives.
> John Q.

You still have to go forward to some folder/file before the back button
becomes active.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...