Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless home networking question

Wireless home networking question

Edward Kelley

Can someone help me with this one?

I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip addresses
because otherwise the wireless devices would lose connectivity. For the
past couple months I've just been using the wireless router for everything,
but I ran a cat 5 cable through my apartment so I could set up the wireless
router close to the yard so I can surf the net outside in the summer. Of
course, when I first hooked it up the wireless router still had the ip
address 192.168.0.1, and I was/am able to get online fine that way, but now
I can't access the desktop computer's files. When I change the ip address
of the wireless router to 192.168.0.2 I get no connectivity at all except to
the router, although I haven't tried accessing the desktop's files when I
did that.

My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop and
other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources on the
desktop computer?

Thanks in advance.

°Mike°

Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

DIY home networking guides and tutorials
http://www.homenethelp.com/

WLAN Wireless Networking
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

In <RfSge.8866$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Edward Kelley took 22 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Edward Kelley

"Hate K-CSC -- Duane " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RfSge.8866$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone help me with this one?
>>
>> I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
>> router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip addresses
>> because otherwise the wireless devices would lose connectivity. For the
>> past couple months I've just been using the wireless router for
>> everything, but I ran a cat 5 cable through my apartment so I could set
>> up the wireless router close to the yard so I can surf the net outside in
>> the summer. Of course, when I first hooked it up the wireless router
>> still had the ip address 192.168.0.1, and I was/am able to get online
>> fine that way, but now I can't access the desktop computer's files. When
>> I change the ip address of the wireless router to 192.168.0.2 I get no
>> connectivity at all except to the router, although I haven't tried
>> accessing the desktop's files when I did that.
>>
>> My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop
>> and other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources
>> on the desktop computer?
>>

> You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the second
> router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask of the
> second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
> 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
> DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
> any computer that is connected to the second router
>
> You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the cat5
> cable and you're good to go.
>
> If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the way
> the two routers are connected together.
>
> Duane

When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the wireless
one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which is plugged
into the wired router.

Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)

"Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RfSge.8866$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone help me with this one?
>
> I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
> router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip addresses
> because otherwise the wireless devices would lose connectivity. For the
> past couple months I've just been using the wireless router for
> everything, but I ran a cat 5 cable through my apartment so I could set up
> the wireless router close to the yard so I can surf the net outside in the
> summer. Of course, when I first hooked it up the wireless router still
> had the ip address 192.168.0.1, and I was/am able to get online fine that
> way, but now I can't access the desktop computer's files. When I change
> the ip address of the wireless router to 192.168.0.2 I get no connectivity
> at all except to the router, although I haven't tried accessing the
> desktop's files when I did that.
>
> My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop
> and other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources on
> the desktop computer?

You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the second
router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask of the
second router must equal the gateway router which is usually 255.255.255.0.
So that machines on both devices can share resources. A DHCP IP will be
gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for any computer that
is connected to the second router

You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the cat5
cable and you're good to go.

If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the way
the two routers are connected together.

Duane

Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)

"Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GZSge.8871$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Hate K-CSC -- Duane " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:RfSge.8866$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can someone help me with this one?
>>>
>>> I have two routers: a Netgear wireless router and a D-Link DI 707 wired
>>> router. I had this setup and working before but with static ip
>>> addresses because otherwise the wireless devices would lose
>>> connectivity. For the past couple months I've just been using the
>>> wireless router for everything, but I ran a cat 5 cable through my
>>> apartment so I could set up the wireless router close to the yard so I
>>> can surf the net outside in the summer. Of course, when I first hooked
>>> it up the wireless router still had the ip address 192.168.0.1, and I
>>> was/am able to get online fine that way, but now I can't access the
>>> desktop computer's files. When I change the ip address of the wireless
>>> router to 192.168.0.2 I get no connectivity at all except to the router,
>>> although I haven't tried accessing the desktop's files when I did that.
>>>
>>> My question is, what is the best way to set up this network so my laptop
>>> and other wireless devices can access the internet and shared resources
>>> on the desktop computer?
>>>

>> You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the second
>> router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask of the
>> second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
>> 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
>> DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
>> any computer that is connected to the second router
>>
>> You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the
>> cat5 cable and you're good to go.
>>
>> If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the way
>> the two routers are connected together.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the
> wireless one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which is
> plugged into the wired router.

The only router that can have DHCP enabled is the gateway router. That's the
one that's connected to the modem.

The wireless router (most routers have a built in switch) will be turned
into a wire/wireless AP switch and it's no longer a router, when DHCP is
disabled. You may want to do a search on Google or Dogpile.com to see if any
settings that may need to be changed, like on the Linksys router being
configured for to be a switch, one setting was changed fro Gateway to Router
mode.

The basic principle of connecting the two routers together are the same no
matter if connecting two wired, two wireless, wire/wireless or
wireless/wired routers together. If you don't want to share resources, then
you would change the device subnet mask to be different on the second router
(now a switch) to not match the subnet mask of the gateway router.

http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...d-switches.asp

Duane

> "Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GZSge.8871$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Hate K-CSC -- Duane " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Edward Kelley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:RfSge.8866$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You disable DHCP on the second router and you set device IP on the
>>> second router to a static IP of the gateway router and the Subnet Mask
>>> of the second router must equal the gateway router which is usually
>>> 255.255.255.0. So that machines on both devices can share resources. A
>>> DHCP IP will be gotten from or you static IP on the gateway computer for
>>> any computer that is connected to the second router
>>>
>>> You then connect LAN port to LAN port (no WAN Port involved) with the
>>> cat5 cable and you're good to go.
>>>
>>> If you're having wireless connectivity, it has nothing to do with the
>>> way the two routers are connected together.
>>>
>>> Duane
>>>

>> When you say the second router, do you mean the wired router or the
>> wireless one? I want to keep DHCP enabled on the wireless router which
>> is plugged into the wired router.

> The only router that can have DHCP enabled is the gateway router. That's
> the one that's connected to the modem.
>
> The wireless router (most routers have a built in switch) will be turned
> into a wire/wireless AP switch and it's no longer a router, when DHCP is
> disabled. You may want to do a search on Google or Dogpile.com to see if
> any settings that may need to be changed, like on the Linksys router being
> configured for to be a switch, one setting was changed fro Gateway to
> Router mode.
>
> The basic principle of connecting the two routers together are the same no
> matter if connecting two wired, two wireless, wire/wireless or
> wireless/wired routers together. If you don't want to share resources,
> then you would change the device subnet mask to be different on the second
> router (now a switch) to not match the subnet mask of the gateway router.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3
>
> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...d-switches.asp
>
> Duane

Thanks. It's working now.