Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DSL connect problem

Reply
Thread Tools

DSL connect problem

 
 
Kong_1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2005
I have a westell dsl modem connected to a computer with a network
cable. It was working fine but now all of a sudden they cannot access
the internet and the ip on the network card has changed to some
256.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.27 that it is supposed to
be and I hooked it up to another computer and it works fine and give
the correct Ip address and everything. Could a bad network card cause
this strange Ip address or would this be something else. I thought it
was the modem at first but I tried it on another comp and it works so
it is left at the computer. And I have attepted repairing the
connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
out where this weird IP is coming from.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-12-2005
In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kong_1 took 12 lines to utter:

>I have a westell dsl modem connected to a computer with a network
>cable. It was working fine but now all of a sudden they cannot access
>the internet and the ip on the network card has changed to some
>256.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.27 that it is supposed to
>be and I hooked it up to another computer and it works fine and give
>the correct Ip address and everything. Could a bad network card cause
>this strange Ip address or would this be something else. I thought it
>was the modem at first but I tried it on another comp and it works so
>it is left at the computer. And I have attepted repairing the
>connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
>modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
>out where this weird IP is coming from.


I have to ask: have you tried a simple reboot?

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005

"Kong_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a westell dsl modem connected to a computer with a network
> cable. It was working fine but now all of a sudden they cannot access
> the internet and the ip on the network card has changed to some
> 256.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the 192.168.1.27 that it is supposed to
> be and I hooked it up to another computer and it works fine and give
> the correct Ip address and everything. Could a bad network card cause
> this strange Ip address or would this be something else. I thought it
> was the modem at first but I tried it on another comp and it works so
> it is left at the computer. And I have attepted repairing the
> connection and it says it cannot get another ip address from the
> modem. and I cannot log into the modem either. But I just can't figure
> out where this weird IP is coming from.


Did you try switching cables too to see if the problem doesn't follow?

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
DoctorMusic@icology.mus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005
If you are using a router in addition to your DSL modem, that could be the
problem. If I understand things correctly, the DSL modem actually gets its
address from the router. If the router has problems, it may not be the
modem's fault that you're not connecting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egVge.360$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> If you are using a router in addition to your DSL modem, that could be the
> problem. If I understand things correctly, the DSL modem actually gets its
> address from the router. If the router has problems, it may not be the
> modem's fault that you're not connecting.


WHAT? The modem is provisioned and the MAC of the modem is linked to the
user's account at the ISP's network. The router in turn uses the IP that the
modem is assigned so that machines connected to the router can share the
single IP assigned by the ISP. The router using its DHCP server issues
private IP(s) for computers requesting a DHCP IP from the router or the
computer can use a static IP on the router too to access the Internet
through the ISP.

In addition, some ISP(s) for instance on a broad brand connection will
require that the first device behind the modem have its MAC provisioned too
and that could be a computer, router, or FW appliance.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp

Duane






 
Reply With Quote
 
DoctorMusic@icology.mus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005
oh well, never mind.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kong_1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005
I have tried a reboot. I have unplugged the modem and plugged it back
in. I have reset the modem. I have changed wires. It is not hooked up
through a hub or router. It is directly into the modem. I know it is
not the modem because I ran it through my laptop and got the correct
ip address and it connected to the internet. Bellsouth said it is the
network card so I changed it and that didn't work . Which I didn't
think it was that anyway.

When you plug it in it get
ip address 169.254.25.154
Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

and when I click repair it say failed to renew IP address.

it is supposed to be 192.168.1.27

it works in other computers and I have tried a new card so it isn't
the modem or card. I even upgraded from home to pro to see if that
would fix whatever settings were wrong and it didn't work. I am trying
to figure out where it is getting this ip and why it won't renew it
after it gets it? What are my other options?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-13-2005

"Kong_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have tried a reboot. I have unplugged the modem and plugged it back
> in. I have reset the modem. I have changed wires. It is not hooked up
> through a hub or router. It is directly into the modem. I know it is
> not the modem because I ran it through my laptop and got the correct
> ip address and it connected to the internet. Bellsouth said it is the
> network card so I changed it and that didn't work . Which I didn't
> think it was that anyway.
>
> When you plug it in it get
> ip address 169.254.25.154
> Subnet mask 255.255.0.0


The 169 IP means that the machine cannot get an IP from the DHCP server on
the router and the O/S and it's timing out and is assigning the IP to the
NIC. The 169. IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it
never got an IP from the router. This is usually due to some
mis-configuration of the NIC on the machine.
>
> and when I click repair it say failed to renew IP address.
>
> it is supposed to be 192.168.1.27


It's not going to get any IP from the router or if you direct connect the
machine to the modem. The machine is not going to get any IP that's going to
allow it to access the Internet.

>
> it works in other computers and I have tried a new card so it isn't
> the modem or card. I even upgraded from home to pro to see if that
> would fix whatever settings were wrong and it didn't work. I am trying
> to figure out where it is getting this ip and why it won't renew it
> after it gets it? What are my other options?


It seems that the TCP/IP Stack on the machine is hosed and needs to be
reinstalled/reset to release the 169 IP the machine is getting.

I suggest you use Google or Dogpile.com and find out how to reset or
reinstall the TCP/IP Stack on whatever Windows O/S you are using on the
machine.

Duane

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
Kong_1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
Ok ... I found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357 from
microsoft on how to reset the tcp/ip stack. It says to use the command


netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

and it is supposed to reset everything and leave a list of everything
it changed in the log file. But when I type it it just creates the log
file that has nothing in it but <completed>. Am I just doing it wrong
or is the computer that screwed.


On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:48:43 GMT, "Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Kong_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have tried a reboot. I have unplugged the modem and plugged it back
>> in. I have reset the modem. I have changed wires. It is not hooked up
>> through a hub or router. It is directly into the modem. I know it is
>> not the modem because I ran it through my laptop and got the correct
>> ip address and it connected to the internet. Bellsouth said it is the
>> network card so I changed it and that didn't work . Which I didn't
>> think it was that anyway.
>>
>> When you plug it in it get
>> ip address 169.254.25.154
>> Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

>
>The 169 IP means that the machine cannot get an IP from the DHCP server on
>the router and the O/S and it's timing out and is assigning the IP to the
>NIC. The 169. IP will not allow the machine to access the Internet, since it
>never got an IP from the router. This is usually due to some
>mis-configuration of the NIC on the machine.
>>
>> and when I click repair it say failed to renew IP address.
>>
>> it is supposed to be 192.168.1.27

>
>It's not going to get any IP from the router or if you direct connect the
>machine to the modem. The machine is not going to get any IP that's going to
>allow it to access the Internet.
>
>>
>> it works in other computers and I have tried a new card so it isn't
>> the modem or card. I even upgraded from home to pro to see if that
>> would fix whatever settings were wrong and it didn't work. I am trying
>> to figure out where it is getting this ip and why it won't renew it
>> after it gets it? What are my other options?

>
>It seems that the TCP/IP Stack on the machine is hosed and needs to be
>reinstalled/reset to release the 169 IP the machine is getting.
>
>I suggest you use Google or Dogpile.com and find out how to reset or
>reinstall the TCP/IP Stack on whatever Windows O/S you are using on the
>machine.
>
>Duane
>
>Duane
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hate K-CSC Duane ;-\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2005

"Kong_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok ... I found this http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357 from
> microsoft on how to reset the tcp/ip stack. It says to use the command
>
>
> netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
>
> and it is supposed to reset everything and leave a list of everything
> it changed in the log file. But when I type it it just creates the log
> file that has nothing in it but <completed>. Am I just doing it wrong
> or is the computer that screwed.
>
>


I have used the above command a couple of times. As I recall, it had a few
lines in the log file. However, when I ran the command on my machine that
has no problems, I got the <complete> too as the only thing in the log file.
Is the machine still holding on to the 169 IP?

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is D-Link DSL-604T same as D-Link DSL-604+ ? norm Wireless Networking 6 11-18-2005 10:25 AM
an Intel PRO/DSL 2100 or Intel PRO/DSL 2200 Modem roberthob Computer Support 0 09-25-2005 05:51 PM
DSL > Asterisk > W/ existing DSL # ? David Wiltkins VOIP 10 05-13-2004 11:41 PM
Anyone good at debugging DSL problems? (DSL: Defect: LOS LOF LCDf: retraining) Richard Antony Burton Cisco 3 12-18-2003 04:30 PM
Re: Cisco836 and German Telekom DSL (T-DSL) Daniel Meyer Cisco 1 07-25-2003 04:01 PM



Advertisments