Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fonts?

Fonts?

°Mike°

That's because it's a commercial font.

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
anOLDun took 11 lines to utter:

<snip>

>.I can only find sites where you have to buy it.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

anOLDun

Lo All

Anyone know where I can download a particular font..FOR FREE.....the font i
am looking for is called "Hobo"...I can only find sites where you have to
buy it.

Many thanks

°Mike°

Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
°Mike° took 14 lines to utter:

--
Basic computer maintenance

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

°Mike° wrote:

> Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip

The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip

>The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

Really?

--

°Mike° wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
>

>>°Mike° wrote:
>>

>>>Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
>>>http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip

>>The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

> Really?

Yes.

Rick Merrill

Rôgêr wrote:
> °Mike° wrote:
>
>> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:

>>> The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

>> Really?
>>

> Yes.

um, no, I believe Adobe licenses it from Linotype who got it
from American Type Founders:

"Hobo font was designed in 1910 by Morris Fuller Benton for American
Type Founders."
- http://www.linotype.com/8077/hobo-font.html

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rick Merrill wrote:

> Rôgêr wrote:
>
>> °Mike° wrote:
>>
>>> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:

>>> Really?
>>>

>> Yes.

> um, no, I believe Adobe licenses it from Linotype who got it
> from American Type Founders:
>
> "Hobo font was designed in 1910 by Morris Fuller Benton for American
> Type Founders."
> - http://www.linotype.com/8077/hobo-font.html

I think the way it works is if they have it licensed, then they can have
a copyright on it. Anyway, this is pulled from the first few lines of
the .afm file included with the download:

StartFontMetrics 2.0
Comment Hobo-Thin-Normal
Comment Creation Date: Thu Jul 25 17:36:51 1991
Comment Creator: Corel's Wfnboss
Comment UniqueID 4433407
Comment VMUsage 20000 20000
FontName Hobo-Thin-Normal
FullName Hobo Thin Normal
FamilyName Hobo Thin
Weight normal
ItalicAngle 0
IsFixedPitch false
FontBBox -33 -242 981 838
Underline Position -100
Underline Thickness 50
Version 001.00
Notice Copyright (c) 1990 Adobe Systems Incorportated. All Rights Reserved.
EncodingScheme AdobeStandardEncoding
CapHeight 779
XHeight 601
Ascender 792
Descender -15
StartCharMetrics 147

°Mike°

In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rôgêr took 18 lines to utter:

I was under the impression that the fonts for offer at hobbes.nmsu.edu
were freely available. If this is not the case, then I regret posting the link.

--

°Mike° wrote:

> In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rôgêr took 18 lines to utter:
>

>>°Mike° wrote:
>>

>>>In <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:

>>>Really?
>>>

>>Yes.

> I was under the impression that the fonts for offer at hobbes.nmsu.edu
> were freely available. If this is not the case, then I regret posting the link.

I doubt that any real damage was done, but that's not a public domain or
freeware font. I found it odd that it said in it that it was created by
wfnboss, that's an old Corel font creation program that was absolutley
horrible. But it was the only PC based font creation program that I knew
of at the time that wasn't priced in the range of a new car.