Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keylogger??

Keylogger??

El Duderino

Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a free
scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers (infiniti &
systemus, I think they were called).
Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for their
product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I believe everything
else and ignore it?
Running XP Pro.
TIA

--
'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such

Frank S

"El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VU6ge.8384$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
> firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a free
> scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers (infiniti &
> systemus, I think they were called).
> Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for
> their product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I believe
> everything else and ignore it?
> Running XP Pro.
> TIA
>
> --
> 'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such

Well, if the esteemed Kaspersky software - and as long as it is
uptodate with all the definitions, then if that says you are clean
then you probably are...........
But Spybot and Spysweeper are NOT designed to locate remote
access trojans, nor app's such as keylogger.
I suggest you run "hi-jack this" to actually evaluate how vunerable
your systen really is.
Just type "hi-jack this" into google, and you will receive all the info
you require on how to test the safety of your system online.

why?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:17:25 GMT, El Duderino wrote:

>Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
>firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a free

The usual AV & FW happen to be un-named products?

>scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers (infiniti &
>systemus, I think they were called).

Do spybot, etc say they detect those?

>Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for their

Try another product?

>product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I believe everything
>else and ignore it?

Do S.Doctor, have any manual removal notes?

Same for Symantec, Mcafee , Sophos if they do you could compare the
notes with your settings to see if your have a problem or not.

>Running XP Pro.
>TIA

www.google.com

Did you mean: keylogger system
No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.
Your search - keylogger systemus - did not match any documents.

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 367 English pages for
keylogger infiniti.

Me

"El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VU6ge.8384$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
> firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a
> free scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers
> (infiniti & systemus, I think they were called).
> Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for
> their product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I
> believe everything else and ignore it?
> Running XP Pro.

Is it Spyware Doctor that you tried, or was it SpyDoctor? One of them
is a rogue product; see
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm. I have gotten
false positives from online anti-spyware scanners, like SpySweeper and
PestScan. Go through their manual eradication procedure to see if you
actually have any of the files or registry entries that they claim they
trigger on when they detect a pest.

If you want to try scanners that are better oriented at detecting
trojans, you could try the trial versions of TDS-03, or Trojan Hunter,
or both.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

El Duderino

Thanks all, I am going to give Trojan Hunter a go and see what happens. It
was Spyware Doctor I tried so it wasn't the dodgy one mentioned.
Sorry, the usual AV's are Kaspersky & AVG and the firewall is Zonealarm.
I shall update when I have tried TH.
PS: I have Hijack this, but don't really understand the results too well..

--
<Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VU6ge.8384$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
>> firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a free
>> scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers (infiniti &
>> systemus, I think they were called).
>> Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for
>> their product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I believe
>> everything else and ignore it?
>> Running XP Pro.

> Is it Spyware Doctor that you tried, or was it SpyDoctor? One of them is
> a rogue product; see http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm.
> I have gotten false positives from online anti-spyware scanners, like
> SpySweeper and PestScan. Go through their manual eradication procedure to
> see if you actually have any of the files or registry entries that they
> claim they trigger on when they detect a pest.
>
> If you want to try scanners that are better oriented at detecting trojans,
> you could try the trial versions of TDS-03, or Trojan Hunter, or both.
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
> For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
> __________________________________________________ __________

ellis_jay

El Duderino wrote:
> Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
> firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a
> free scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers
> (infiniti & systemus, I think they were called).
> Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for
> their product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I
> believe everything else and ignore it?
> Running XP Pro.
> TIA

WWW.spywareinfo.com

use the free on line scanner on the left side of the screen

--
He released government from the restraint of law.
____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

Ellis_Jay

El Duderino

OK, update...TrojanHunter came back all clear. I think this 'Spyware
Doctor' is either over-sensitive or is showing dodgy results to try and get
you to buy it.
Only problem...it is a 5-cow Tucows, 5 star download.com, recommended
majorgeeks.com download....sounds pretty kosher to me..I dunno...

--
'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such
"El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iK8ge.31044$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Thanks all, I am going to give Trojan Hunter a go and see what happens.
> It was Spyware Doctor I tried so it wasn't the dodgy one mentioned.
> Sorry, the usual AV's are Kaspersky & AVG and the firewall is Zonealarm.
> I shall update when I have tried TH.
> PS: I have Hijack this, but don't really understand the results too well..
>
> --
> 'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such
> <Vanguard> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:VU6ge.8384$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Hi all, I run Spybot, adaware and spysweeper (on top of the usual AV &
>>> firewall) and they all come up clean. However, I thought I'd try a free
>>> scan from Spyware Doctor...this came up with 2 keyloggers (infiniti &
>>> systemus, I think they were called).
>>> Who should I believe? Are S. Doctor just trying to get me to pay for
>>> their product (you have to to clean what it finds)? Or should I believe
>>> everything else and ignore it?
>>> Running XP Pro.

>> Is it Spyware Doctor that you tried, or was it SpyDoctor? One of them is
>> a rogue product; see
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm. I have gotten false
>> positives from online anti-spyware scanners, like SpySweeper and
>> PestScan. Go through their manual eradication procedure to see if you
>> actually have any of the files or registry entries that they claim they
>> trigger on when they detect a pest.
>>
>> If you want to try scanners that are better oriented at detecting
>> trojans, you could try the trial versions of TDS-03, or Trojan Hunter, or
>> both.
>>
>> --
>> __________________________________________________ __________
>> ** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
>> For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.
>> __________________________________________________ __________

http://freespace.virgin.net/bigun.littleun/

"El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ED9ge.8467$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> OK, update...TrojanHunter came back all clear. I think this 'Spyware
> Doctor' is either over-sensitive or is showing dodgy results to try and

get
> you to buy it.
> Only problem...it is a 5-cow Tucows, 5 star download.com, recommended
> majorgeeks.com download....sounds pretty kosher to me..I dunno...

system doctor
this reminds me
this was talked about on a vew forums not long ago.
lots of people downloaded it to test it out and they all came back with the
same report as you have..
it seems to always find things that the others do not find.. so we came to
the conclusion that ether system docter is the goverments secret or that its
giving faulse readings to get it to buy it....
we all thought the latter..
no spyware program finds them all but system doctor find them BEFORE they
are within 200 miles of your comp
its a con to get you to buy it
and i personally do not trust a company that will con you into buying

"El Duderino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ED9ge.8467$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> OK, update...TrojanHunter came back all clear. I think this 'Spyware
> Doctor' is either over-sensitive or is showing dodgy results to try
> and get you to buy it.
> Only problem...it is a 5-cow Tucows, 5 star download.com, recommended
> majorgeeks.com download....sounds pretty kosher to me..I dunno...

As I mentioned, anti-spyware scanners, especially the freebie online
ones, might produce false positives. I remember running SpySweeper's
online scan and it said I had Bonz[a]Buddy which was based solely on
detecting that I had a folder named "Finances" in my Favorites bookmarks
in IE. Yeah, now there is a definitive trigger to identify a pest ...
not! However, they provided manual eradication instructions which I
could use to determine that the pest that they claimed I had wasn't
really there (because nothing of what they described existed on my
system).

Doesn't Spyware Doctor (trial version, online version, or whatever you
were using) include manual instructions to eradicate the pest they
profess to have found? Or did they design it for boobs that treat
anti-spyware like it is some fantastic magical and omniscient cure-all?
If they claim to have found a pest, they need to qualify how they
detected it and what they will do to eradicate it.

Preesi

El Duderino wrote:
> Thanks all, I am going to give Trojan Hunter a go and see what
> happens. It was Spyware Doctor I tried so it wasn't the dodgy one
> mentioned.
> Sorry, the usual AV's are Kaspersky & AVG and the firewall is
> Zonealarm.
> I shall update when I have tried TH.
> PS: I have Hijack this, but don't really understand the results too
> well..

I run Spybot, Adaware, Spysweeper and Moosofts "The Cleaner"...
I also run AOLs Spyware Protection, which ALWAYS finds Keyloggers etc.
I let Spybot install Teatimer and The Cleaner install its two
protectors.
I also use Firefox.
Im usually clean!
Thanks Pennywise