Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Back-up solutions & 255 character limit??

Back-up solutions & 255 character limit??

Julie P.

So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had just
installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.

Here is why:

When I use NERO to burn my CD's, it says I have a lot of files with names
longer than 255 characters. It also says some of my files go more than 8
path-levels deep. And that the combined length of even more of my files when
you add all the embedded folders together is also longer than 255
characters! It says this is not ISO compliant and do I still want to burn my
CD's, which is not recommended. I say no. But it will take me months to
reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
way!

So how can I back-up my files?

BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell says it
does:

http://windows.about.com/od/shortcut.../aa020203a.htm

"If you have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, you will easily be
able to find the Backup Utility by clicking Start -> All Programs ->
Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup. However, if you are using Windows XP
Home Edition, your search for a backup utility under System Tools will be
fruitless. Although Microsoft originally planned to include the Backup
Utility in the Home Edition as well as the Professional Edition, they
removed it, for reasons known to themselves, from the final version that you
can buy today."

another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic and
Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up system.
Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if you install
two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is written to both
hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer crashes, you just
switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened. Is this true? I
think it is called RAID.

And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I have
been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

Thanks!

Julie P.

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
> just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
>
> Here is why:
>
> When I use NERO to burn my CD's, it says I have a lot of files with names
> longer than 255 characters. It also says some of my files go more than 8
> path-levels deep. And that the combined length of even more of my files
> when you add all the embedded folders together is also longer than 255
> characters! It says this is not ISO compliant and do I still want to burn
> my CD's, which is not recommended. I say no. But it will take me months to
> reduce the name size of all of my files.

you see: I have back-up copies made by Word and Excel for all of my docs and
spreadsheets. So when I manually change the name of one file, I have to
change the name of my back-up file as well to the exact name, preceded by
"Backup of "! This takes a long time! Sometimes I have to use the search
function to find the location of a file that is longer than 255 characters.
So I can change all the names, but there is going to be some work involved.

Julie P.

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
> just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
>
> Here is why:

Also, I would not know even how to back-up non-document files to CD-R's. Do
I just start dragging and dropping random folders in NERO to burn, including
my OS files and Program files???

Can I just copy my entire hard drive to another hard drive? That would be so
easy Will the OS overwrite itself??

Am I allowed to burn back-up CD's for Windows XP and other programs?? The
other day, I think I got punished for burning a McAfee AS 2005 CD. When I
finished burning and tried to close NERO, there was an crash/error and my
CD-ROM drive popped open and refused to close. I had to restart, and
Microsoft said this is a known NERO issue with no known solution . I think
that might be Microsoft speak for saying you illegally burned a copyrighted
CD???

Julie P.

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
>> just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
>>
>> Here is why:

> Also, I would not know even how to back-up non-document files to CD-R's.
> Do I just start dragging and dropping random folders in NERO to burn,
> including my OS files and Program files???
>
> Can I just copy my entire hard drive to another hard drive? That would be
> so easy Will the OS overwrite itself??
>
> Am I allowed to burn back-up CD's for Windows XP and other programs?? The
> other day, I think I got punished for burning a McAfee AS 2005 CD. When I
> finished burning and tried to close NERO, there was an crash/error and my
> CD-ROM drive popped open and refused to close. I had to restart, and
> Microsoft said this is a known NERO issue with no known solution . I think
> that might be Microsoft speak for saying you illegally burned a
> copyrighted CD???

Also, I want to get a Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW drive which will hold 4.7 GB per
DVD-R instead of those tiny CD-R's, but it costs $129. Should I wait for the
price to go down? Should I wait for a larger DVD-R to come out?

I am worried if I buy the DVD drive, there will soon be a better drive than
can burn 10 GB DVD's, or whatever? Or the price will go down later on. When
will things level out so it is safe to buy? I want to wait until they invent
the maximum DVD-R size, and then buy.

See, I just mistakenly installed a new CD-RW drive, instead of a DVD drive.
I didn't know you were allowed to write data to DVD's. I thought it was only
for movies. I don;t want to make that mistake twice.

And I installed 1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB sticks) instead of getting two 1 GB
sticks. Now I will soon need the 1 GB sticks anyway, as I will need 3-4 GB
of RAM.

Miles Ahead

On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:30:32 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>But it will take me months to
>reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
>way!

Get yourself an archive program, like UltimateZip
http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and zip up
the files you want to burn. Then you only have to drag a few
zip files onto Nero and burn them. The long filenames will
be hidden inside the zip files.

Julie P.

"Miles Ahead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:30:32 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>But it will take me months to
>>reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
>>way!

> Get yourself an archive program, like UltimateZip
> http://www.ultimatezip.com/ and zip up
> the files you want to burn. Then you only have to drag a few
> zip files onto Nero and burn them. The long filenames will
> be hidden inside the zip files.

Thank you! Will try!

And sorry everyone for making so many posts today!

Julie

pcbutts1

Windows XP Home does have a backup utility it is just not installed by
default like Pro is. You have to install it from the XP cd. Here's how.

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click
the CD icon in My Computer.

2. On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional
Tasks.

3. Click Browse this CD.

4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and
then Ntbackup.

5. Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System
Tools, and then click Backup to start the wizard.

The XP backup utility will not backup directly to a CDRW so you have to
backup everything to a folder on your HD then burn that to a CD.

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I had
> just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
>
> Here is why:
>
> When I use NERO to burn my CD's, it says I have a lot of files with names
> longer than 255 characters. It also says some of my files go more than 8
> path-levels deep. And that the combined length of even more of my files
> when you add all the embedded folders together is also longer than 255
> characters! It says this is not ISO compliant and do I still want to burn
> my CD's, which is not recommended. I say no. But it will take me months to
> reduce the name size of all of my files. So I cannot back-up my files this
> way!
>
> So how can I back-up my files?
>
> BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell says it
> does:
>
> http://windows.about.com/od/shortcut.../aa020203a.htm
>
> "If you have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, you will easily be
> able to find the Backup Utility by clicking Start -> All Programs ->
> Accessories -> System Tools -> Backup. However, if you are using Windows
> XP Home Edition, your search for a backup utility under System Tools will
> be fruitless. Although Microsoft originally planned to include the Backup
> Utility in the Home Edition as well as the Professional Edition, they
> removed it, for reasons known to themselves, from the final version that
> you can buy today."
>
> another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
> Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic
> and Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up
> system. Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if
> you install two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is
> written to both hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer
> crashes, you just switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened.
> Is this true? I think it is called RAID.
>
> And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I
> have been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.
>
> Thanks!

Toolman Tim

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> another question: I also have bought a new 120 GB hard drive from Western
> Digital for only $40 after rebate! I also bought Norton Partition Magic
> and Ghost. I want to use the above to somehow come up with a back-up
> system. Maybe involving RAID? I heard from the CompUSA salesman that if
> you install two hard drives, the computer can be set up so your data is
> written to both hard drives simultaneously, so whenever your computer
> crashes, you just switch hard drives and go on like nothing has happened.
> Is this true? I think it is called RAID.

What you are referring to is drive 'mirroring'. It's normally used in
network server equipment using hot-swap drives. If one drive fails, the
server is still running - on the 'mirror' drive. A replacement is put in the
server, the drive is mirrored to match. No down time. It's not really
considered a backup option. There are many other functions in the RAID
family.

> And can I partition my current 40 GB Dell hard drive now, even though I
> have been using it for 1 year? It is 25% full.

Partition Magic will allow you to partition your current drive. But I
wouldn't, if you have a 120 now as well. I would probably partition that,
and use Ghost to write an image of your 40 gig drive to it. You could do
three partitions, and Ghost your C: drive to a different partition on a
rotating schedule.

You mentioned a dual-layer DVD writer as well, with it's 8gig or so
capacity. I doubt the price will come down much any time soon. Nor will
there be a better option any time soon either, based on price per DVD media.
And using a program like Backup MyPC (from Sonic - does backup straight to
CDR, CDRW, etc.) to do scheduled data backups to DVD, on a rotating basis,
you can have a great backup system.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Julie P. mused:

| So, I mentioned earlier I was not backing up my data, even though I
| had just installed a new 40X CD-RW drive.
|
| Here is why:

[snip]

Acronis True Image ...

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Dave Lear

"Julie P." wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)

> BTW, XP Home does not have a back-up function!! Even though Dell
> says it does:

Of course, you checked your facts before you called into question Dell's
advice, right?

HOW TO: Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

255.255.255.255 redwaters Cisco 0 08-07-2007 04:43 AM
Is 255.255.255.254 illegal idskuldeep General Computer Support 1 07-13-2007 11:43 AM
norton takes exception to 255.255.255.255 Phil Computer Security 3 02-20-2005 05:32 AM
IP changes to 255.255.255.255?? Joe Mama Computer Security 9 06-30-2004 03:42 AM
255.255.255.255 subnet mask Assignment Eazzy MCSE 8 07-25-2003 04:24 PM

Advertisments