Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > open source remote control software?

open source remote control software?

WCH

I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer
via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and
just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open source
equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I want to
do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

old jon

In winXP, go to help and type in remote, that`ll get you on your way.
You have got winXP ?. ..J

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer via
>a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is established, you
>see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and just click and type
>away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly subscription for the program,
>so I'm wondering if there's an open source equivalent. If it only works on
>one computer that's OK, all I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC
>from the road.

WCH

Forgot to mention -- both my desktop and laptop run Windows 2000 Pro, so
the built-in remote of XP is not an option for me.

old jon wrote:
> In winXP, go to help and type in remote, that`ll get you on your way.
> You have got winXP ?. ..J
>
> "WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer via
>>a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is established, you
>>see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and just click and type
>>away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly subscription for the program,
>>so I'm wondering if there's an open source equivalent. If it only works on
>>one computer that's OK, all I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC

>>from the road.

old jon

Hi again, suggest asking in alt.comp.freeware, it`s a great site fo the free
stuff. best wishes..J

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer via
>a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is established, you
>see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and just click and type
>away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly subscription for the program,
>so I'm wondering if there's an open source equivalent. If it only works on
>one computer that's OK, all I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC
>from the road.

Scrote

WCH wrote:
>> I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another
>> computer via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
>> established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
>> and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
>> subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
>> source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all
>> I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

1.Free(limited) http://www.realvnc.com/products/features.html
2. I use (not free but free trial)
http://www.netsupportsoftware.com/ns...r_overview.htm
--
He had a mind so fine that no idea could violate it.
-- T. S. Eliot (on Henry James)

Parko

WCH wrote with a thumbnail dipped in tar:

> I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer
> via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
> established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and
> just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
> subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open source
> equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I want to
> do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

Open Source, GPL, cross platform, free to use:
http://www.tightvnc.com/
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, WCH mused:

| I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer
| via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
| established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
| and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
| subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
| source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all I
| want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.

Better than Real and Tight variants ... UltraVNC ... file
transfers, encryption, MS Logon authentication ... I don't think any of
the VNC variants are open source, but they are free to use.

www.ultravnc.com

"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailS*PM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, WCH mused:
> |
> | I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another
> computer
> | via a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is
> | established, you see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen
> | and just click and type away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly
> | subscription for the program, so I'm wondering if there's an open
> | source equivalent. If it only works on one computer that's OK, all
> | want to do is remotely connect to my home PC from the road.
>
> Better than Real and Tight variants ... UltraVNC ... file
> transfers, encryption, MS Logon authentication ... I don't think any
> of
> the VNC variants are open source, but they are free to use.
>
> www.ultravnc.com

The encryption (of your traffic) requires a separate plug-in. A link is
available on UltraVNC's web site. You might want to talk with the IT
dept or sysadmin at work since running remote software, like
Ultra/Real/TightVNC, will probably violate company policy. If you want
to connect to home, they probably want to control the remote channel and
through what part of their network you connect to your home PC (so, for
example, your home PC remains on the outside of their firewall).
Remember that your home network is not protected regardless of what you
install, because being protected means your company gets to manage that
network. While not the only cause for termination, I have seen an
employee get canned because they bypassed corporate security and
infested their network with crap the user brought in through a violate
remote connection to their home network.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

Toolman Tim

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I watched a friend use "GoToMyPC" to remotely control another computer via
>a highspeed internet connection. Once the connection is established, you
>see the remote controlled PCs screen on your screen and just click and type
>away. Pretty slick. But there's a monthly subscription for the program,
>so I'm wondering if there's an open source equivalent. If it only works on
>one computer that's OK, all I want to do is remotely connect to my home PC
>from the road.

Here's one that is low cost... www.radmin.com $35.00, no monthly user fee.

intrepidexchange intrepidexchange is offline
Junior Member

I use logmein.com, I've been using it for a while now and although I havent signed up for the paid version (transfer files through the program) I am able to completely control multiple pc's (i have about 12 active now) easily for free!