Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Viewing/Decoding *.mpgs

Reply
Thread Tools

Viewing/Decoding *.mpgs

 
 
Jeff G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
open the file.

So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup have
been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if the
file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
hasn't really told me anything useful.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
> I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
> Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
> open the file.


Error message(s)?

> So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup
> have been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if
> the file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other
> files I need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and
> Winamp hasn't really told me anything useful.


http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Download it. Install it. (It's free) Drop the file into it.

It'll tell you everything you need to know about the file, and then some.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
Thanks. The software didn't help much other than to say the file was
not a valid avi and was pretty much otherwise unknown (I received back
lots of n.a.'s). But the app itself looks as if it will be useful to
have. I've never seen another app like it.

TJ wrote:
> Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
>>I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
>>Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
>>open the file.

>
>
> Error message(s)?
>
>
>>So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup
>>have been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if
>>the file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other
>>files I need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and
>>Winamp hasn't really told me anything useful.

>
>
> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
>
> Download it. Install it. (It's free) Drop the file into it.
>
> It'll tell you everything you need to know about the file, and then some.
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
TJ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-08-2005
Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks. The software didn't help much other than to say the file was
> not a valid avi and was pretty much otherwise unknown (I received back
> lots of n.a.'s). But the app itself looks as if it will be useful to
> have. I've never seen another app like it.


Did you look in the file column under "stat"? It's the last line, in the
first column, in the upper-left-hand box. I've seen people post stuff that
they say in the subject line is an .avi, when it's really a .wmv or an .mpeg
(usually happens with Power-Posters) and all kinds of media players will
choke on it.

Sometimes it's just as simple as correcting the file extension.

For Example. If the file was downloaded as, "filename.avi" and you drop it
into g-spot and it says it's the proper extension is .asf ...

Rename the file to "filename.asf" and ignore the "warning" you get about
changing the extension. (You can always change it back, and since you can't
view it now, you don't risk losing anything, right?)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Unk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2005
On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:32:46 -0400, Jeff G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
>I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
>Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
>open the file.
>
>So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup have
>been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if the
>file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
>need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
>hasn't really told me anything useful.


Similar to Gspot. Drag & drop.
http://avicodec.duby.info/

Recognized formats :
AVI, ASF & WMV, Real (.rm, .rmvb), Ogg (.ogg, .ogm), Mpeg-(S)VCD-DVD (.mpg, .vob)
and all those handled by DirectShow (.mp3, ...).

 
Reply With Quote
 
Maria
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2005
Jeff G wrote:

> I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
> I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
> Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
> open the file.
>
> So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup have
> been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if the
> file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
> need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
> hasn't really told me anything useful.


Just happened to see this post & answers; very useful information!
Thanks TJ and Unk;
Maria


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments