Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > transfer wizard.......Costco computer.......?>

transfer wizard.......Costco computer.......?>

Fido

The transfer wizard on the computer I just bought from Costco only shows the
option to burn on the transfer wizard CD on drives G,H,I. and J....which are
the card readers........my CD burner is on drive E. Checked some of the
other computers on the shelf and they were the same....The on floor computer
guy was stumped also.....Can anyone help with this one?

pcbutts1

The wizard only supports copying old files and settings via: 3.5 inch disks
or other removable media, a direct cable connection from your old computer
to your new computer, or a drive on a home network.

"Fido" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The transfer wizard on the computer I just bought from Costco only shows
> the
> option to burn on the transfer wizard CD on drives G,H,I. and J....which
> are
> the card readers........my CD burner is on drive E. Checked some of the
> other computers on the shelf and they were the same....The on floor
> computer
> guy was stumped also.....Can anyone help with this one?

pcbutts1

Nobody else is helping because I gave you a correct answer, which came
directly from Microsoft. Your internal CDrom drive is NOT removable media.

Well, what's CD-R if it's not "removable media".......?Can anybody else help
here? I'm not using the disk to transfer data ....I'm using it to transfer
a copy of the "transfer wizard" to the old machine so that I can link
them.......

news:<y0Kee.13679$(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> The wizard only supports copying old files and settings via: 3.5 inch
> disks
> or other removable media, a direct cable connection from your old computer
> to your new computer, or a drive on a home network.

> "Fido" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The transfer wizard on the computer I just bought from Costco only shows
> > the
> > option to burn on the transfer wizard CD on drives G,H,I. and J....which
> > are
> > the card readers........my CD burner is on drive E. Checked some of the
> > other computers on the shelf and they were the same....The on floor
> > computer
> > guy was stumped also.....Can anyone help with this one?

"Fido" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The transfer wizard on the computer I just bought from Costco only shows
> the
> option to burn on the transfer wizard CD on drives G,H,I. and J....which
> are
> the card readers........my CD burner is on drive E. Checked some of the
> other computers on the shelf and they were the same....The on floor
> computer
> guy was stumped also.....Can anyone help with this one?

Toolman Tim

Yes you did - too bad the OP is a bit confused. Writing to a CD requires
using the CD burning software, either the software built into Windows XP, or
the OEM software provided by the CD writer manufacturer, etc.

What the guy could do is find an original XP installation CD and run
"fastwiz.exe" from that. Or he could put it on a floppy disk if the machine
has one. Or if he has a memory card, he could put it on one of those card
readers and then burn it to the CD-R. So many options...<g>

news:EuWee.2334$(E-Mail Removed). ..