Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Rechargable battery question

Reply
Thread Tools

Rechargable battery question

 
 
Annette Kurten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
Duracell at over £3 a throw.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Julie P.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5esf4$5f0$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
> it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
> should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
> I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> Duracell at over £3 a throw.
>
>


ni-mh (nickel metal hydride) rechargeables with the highest mA will last the
longest.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
me@yourplace,net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
>it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
>should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
> I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
>Duracell at over £3 a throw.
>

All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
2000 mAh or higher.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Annette Kurten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005

<me@yourplace>; <net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual

and
> >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
> >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the

highest.
> > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> >Duracell at over £3 a throw.
> >

> All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
> price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
> 2000 mAh or higher.
>

Cheers but what is highest, and what is mah?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Liz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> <me@yourplace>; <net> wrote in message
> > All chargers are not the same, as you would of notice by the
> > price...cheap to expensive....same goes for the batteries...look for
> > 2000 mAh or higher.
> >

> Cheers but what is highest, and what is mah?


mAh = milli Amp hour
http://store.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html

2500 mAh
http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_..._batteries.php

 
Reply With Quote
 
FML
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005
Annette Kurten spewed forth...

> I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the
> manual and it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what
> else
> should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the
> highest.
> I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> Duracell at over £3 a throw.
>
>


I have had very good luck with the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH AA NiMH
rechargeable batteries. I travel quite a bit and I use them in all my
portable devices (MP3 player, DVD player, noise cancelling headphones).
I get very good life from each charge and more importantly they charge
to the same level time after time.

http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_..._batteries.php

I can't emphasize how important it is to get a quality charger.
Preferably a "cool" charger. Heat is one of a rechargeable battery's
worst enemies.

Here is the charger I use:

http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

I have used a lot of different batteries/chargers. This is the best I've
used.

HTH



 
Reply With Quote
 
Annette Kurten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2005

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns964E7A88B4A0NyEtSpAm@216.196.97.136...
> Annette Kurten spewed forth...
>
> > I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the
> > manual and it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what
> > else
> > should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the
> > highest.
> > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> > Duracell at over £3 a throw.
> >
> >

>
> I have had very good luck with the MAHA POWEREX 2500 mAH AA NiMH
> rechargeable batteries. I travel quite a bit and I use them in all my
> portable devices (MP3 player, DVD player, noise cancelling headphones).
> I get very good life from each charge and more importantly they charge
> to the same level time after time.
>
> http://thomas-distributing.com/maha_..._batteries.php
>
> I can't emphasize how important it is to get a quality charger.
> Preferably a "cool" charger. Heat is one of a rechargeable battery's
> worst enemies.
>
> Here is the charger I use:
>
> http://thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm
>
> I have used a lot of different batteries/chargers. This is the best I've
> used.
>
> HTH
>
>

Thanxs all


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2005
On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
>it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
>should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
> I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
>Duracell at over £3 a throw.


There are two common rechargeable AA types, NiCd nickel-cadmium and
NiMH nickel metal hydride. The latter have much higher capacity than
the former (2300+ mAH vs 800+ mAH), and also are capable of delivering
much higher currents (e.g. as required by most digital cameras).

2300 mAH means the battery is capable of supplying 2300 milliamps (2.3
amps) for one hour - or one amp for 2.3 hours.

Rechargeables have 1.2 volts nominal potential versus 1.5 volts for
alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries. You should be able to recharge
the NiMH batteries at least a few hundred times for negligible costs.
Bateries cost about $5 each and $20 for a 4 cell charger. Budget
alkalines cost at least 60 cents each (bulk pack 10+). Sorry I don't
live in England.

jd
 
Reply With Quote
 
Annette Kurten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2005

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 04:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Annette Kurten"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual

and
> >it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> > I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
> >should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the

highest.
> > I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> >Duracell at over £3 a throw.

>
> There are two common rechargeable AA types, NiCd nickel-cadmium and
> NiMH nickel metal hydride. The latter have much higher capacity than
> the former (2300+ mAH vs 800+ mAH), and also are capable of delivering
> much higher currents (e.g. as required by most digital cameras).
>
> 2300 mAH means the battery is capable of supplying 2300 milliamps (2.3
> amps) for one hour - or one amp for 2.3 hours.
>
> Rechargeables have 1.2 volts nominal potential versus 1.5 volts for
> alkaline (non-rechargeable) batteries. You should be able to recharge
> the NiMH batteries at least a few hundred times for negligible costs.
> Bateries cost about $5 each and $20 for a 4 cell charger. Budget
> alkalines cost at least 60 cents each (bulk pack 10+). Sorry I don't
> live in England.
>
> jd


Thanks again, who would have thought there was so much to know about a
humble little AA battery.


 
Reply With Quote
 
dwacon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-09-2005

"Annette Kurten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5esf4$5f0$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I bought a DAB pocket radio and it eats batteries, I checked the manual and
> it said "Use the highest capacity rechargeable batteries"
> I thought one AA 1.5v researchable was the same as any other, what else
> should I look for on the packs for it's capacity, and what is the highest.
> I know it is trivial, but on a 12 hour shift I can put in 2 sets of
> Duracell at over £3 a throw.



My local supermarket had a sale on Duracell® rechargers -- normally a unit
with 4 AA's for $20 US, now on sale for $15 US. Seems a sweet deal... I
also got the AAA version so I'm covered with all my portables as well as the
numerous remotes in the house.



--
The Runaway Bride...
She'll stage a kidnapping to avoid a wedding!
http://www.cafepress.com/dwacon/601709


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rechargable Lithium vs Rechargable NiMH batteries - just curious zxcvar Digital Photography 25 12-02-2004 02:14 AM
Sony users - NP FC11 Lithium Rechargable battery questions zxcvar Digital Photography 1 11-21-2004 05:46 AM
Battery charger for Canon NB-2L/NB-2L12 Rechargable Batteries Joseph Gabriel Digital Photography 1 10-13-2004 08:44 PM
Kodak DX6490 owners and others - Lithium ion rechargable battery zxcvar Digital Photography 14 06-07-2004 07:20 PM
Nikon Coolpix 3100 & Rechargable Lithium Battery armlance Digital Photography 4 01-24-2004 06:58 AM



Advertisments