Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Data Transfer

USB Data Transfer

Tanel Kagan

Hello group,

I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
port.

Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive of
the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC and/or
its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?

Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you want
to go down that route) network cards and a router?

Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?

Thanks.

Tanel.

pcbutts1

Well if you look at the USB cable at both ends you will see that one end
will not fit, so no it will not work. You need this
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20963
or just use Ethernet, a crossover cable.

"Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d5dh86$stn$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hello group,
>
> I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
> port.
>
> Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
> equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
> laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive
> of
> the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC
> and/or
> its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?
>
> Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you
> want
> to go down that route) network cards and a router?
>
> Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
> case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tanel.

Demmpa

Tanel Kagan wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
> port.
>
> Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
> equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports?

No, you need a special USB-cabel like this
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20963

--
/
Demmpa

Dugie

I have a USB cable with identical ends. E.g.., both ends are able to fit
into the PC's USB port.
Will this work to connect two computers?

Thanks
Dubie

news:Upsee.12916$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Well if you look at the USB cable at both ends you will see that one

end
> will not fit, so no it will not work. You need this

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20963
> or just use Ethernet, a crossover cable.

Walter Mautner

nospam wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
> port.
>
> Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
> equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
> laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive
> of
> the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC
> and/or its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?
>
> Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you
> want to go down that route) network cards and a router?

Unfortunately - even though it's name is "universal SERIAL bus", there is no
such thing as the well-known nullmodem cable for it. You will surely
notice, that only one end of a standard usb cable fits into a pc socket.
You can use special adapters though ... but the costs are most likely
prohibitive and your laptop most probably also contains a ethernet card.
Use a crossover ethernet cable, really cheap and does the same thing.

> Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
> case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?

The mentioned devices should be downward compatible but transfer rate will
suck.

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

pcbutts1

Yes I have seen those, they require drivers. if you have the drivers then it
should work.

"Dugie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Vsee.8424$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a USB cable with identical ends. E.g.., both ends are able to fit
> into the PC's USB port.
> Will this work to connect two computers?
>
> Thanks
> Dubie
>

> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Upsee.12916$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Well if you look at the USB cable at both ends you will see that one

> end
>> will not fit, so no it will not work. You need this
>>

> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20963
>> or just use Ethernet, a crossover cable.

Unk

On Thu, 5 May 2005 16:22:30 +0000 (UTC), "Tanel Kagan" <tanelkagan@(nospam)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello group,
>
>I have a desktop PC with a USB 2.0 port and an older laptop with a USB 1.0
>port.
>
>Can I transfer data across with a standard USB cable, without any other
>equipment, simply by connecting the cable between these ports? Will the
>laptop show up on the PC as a networked computer, or will the hard drive of
>the laptop show up as a new drive on the PC? Similarly, will the PC and/or
>its hard drive(s) show up and be accessed by the laptop?
>
>Or do you need some intermediate device like an external HD or (if you want
>to go down that route) network cards and a router?
>
>Does it matter that one is USB 2.0 and the other USB 1.0 or is it simply a
>case of transfer limited to the speed of the slower device?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Tanel.

Networking resources
http://www.wown.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.carricksolutions.com/networking.htm
http://www.performit.co.uk/network/
http://smallnetbuilder.com/

Step-by-Step - Networking for Dummies
http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

How-to: Simple 2 Computer Network wo/hub
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simple.htm

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304040