Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WTF? Modem will not fit in computer!!

WTF? Modem will not fit in computer!!

Julie P.

This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
my computer.

But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!

What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.

And when I went to the manufacturer's website:

http://www.newcominc.com

it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
City in November 1998, on black Saturday.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Julie P. wrote:
> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
> open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
> Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
> have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
> a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
> my computer.
>
> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
> the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
> from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
> install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
> way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
> into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
>
> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
> modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
> Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>
> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>
> http://www.newcominc.com
>
> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>
> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot. The
ISA standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a new PCI
modem, you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your case, I'd
probably wait until it's needed.

FML

Julie P. spewed forth...

> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the
> case open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal
> modem from Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use
> Windows XP Home and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a
> regular dial-up modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100
> NIC card), and so I can fax via my computer.
>
> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all
> about 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And
> yes, I was trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or
> upside down. It can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the
> metallic modem part that would slide into the slots on the mobo is
> about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
>
> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
> said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>
> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>
> http://www.newcominc.com
>
> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from
> Circuit City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>
> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

You wouldn't be trying to install an ISA card in a PCI slot would you?

Julie P.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Julie P. wrote:
>> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
>> open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
>> Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
>> and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up
>> modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I
>> can fax via my computer.
>>
>> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
>> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about
>> 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was
>> trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It
>> can only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part
>> that would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the
>> slots on the mobo!!!
>>
>> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
>> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone
>> said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>>
>> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>>
>> http://www.newcominc.com
>>
>> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
>> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>

> Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot. The ISA
> standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a new PCI modem,
> you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your case, I'd probably
> wait until it's needed.

Crap! Oh well, you learn something new everyday.

Thanks Roger and FML! I still want to install a modem so I can fax directly
from my computer though with a program like HotFax or WinFaxPro.

At least I got the RAM in ok. It was a pain to install until I realized you
have to push down very firmly and press the side snaps in a little hard to
get the sticks to lock in.

Julie

Unk

On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
>open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
>Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home and
>have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem as
>a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via
>my computer.
>
>But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available slots,
>the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8" away
>from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
>install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go one
>way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
>into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
>
>What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a dial-up
>modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
>Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>
>And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>
>http://www.newcominc.com
>
>it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
>City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>
>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
http://www.kids-online.net/learn/cli...s/isamodem.jpg

You need a PCI modem.
http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg

Here's one for $3.99
http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483

Julie P.

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
>>open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
>>Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
>>and
>>have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem
>>as
>>a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax
>>via
>>my computer.
>>
>>But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
>>slots,
>>the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8"
>>away
>>from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
>>install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go
>>one
>>way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
>>into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the
>>mobo!!!
>>
>>What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
>>dial-up
>>modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
>>Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>>
>>And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>>
>>http://www.newcominc.com
>>
>>it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
>>City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>

> If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
> http://www.kids-online.net/learn/cli...s/isamodem.jpg
>
> You need a PCI modem.
> http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg
>
> Here's one for $3.99
> http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483

Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
inventory first.

Unk

On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:50:56 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 5 May 2005 00:02:35 -0400, "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
>>>open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
>>>Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
>>>and
>>>have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up modem
>>>as
>>>a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax
>>>via
>>>my computer.
>>>
>>>But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
>>>slots,
>>>the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about 3/8"
>>>away
>>>from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was trying to
>>>install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can only go
>>>one
>>>way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide
>>>into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the
>>>mobo!!!
>>>
>>>What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
>>>dial-up
>>>modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said my
>>>Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>>>
>>>And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>>>
>>>http://www.newcominc.com
>>>
>>>it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
>>>City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>>>
>>>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>>

>> If your modem looks like this, it won't fit.
>> http://www.kids-online.net/learn/cli...s/isamodem.jpg
>>
>> You need a PCI modem.
>> http://www.mycompustore.com/images/3CP5610B.jpg
>>
>> Here's one for $3.99
>> http://www.pcsurplusonline.com/viewprod.cfm?ID=3483
>>

>Yep, it's a ISA modem. Thanks for the pics and the link--that's a great
>price! I might have some PCI modems lying around too, so I'll check my
>inventory first.

You're welcome.
The shipping is probable twice the cost of that modem.

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Julie P. wrote:
>>> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the
>>> case open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal
>>> modem from Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use
>>> Windows XP Home and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have
>>> a regular dial-up modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a
>>> 10/100 NIC card), and so I can fax via my computer.
>>>
>>> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four
>>> available slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would
>>> go are all about 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once
>>> installed!! And yes, I was trying to install it the correct way, not
>>> backwards or upside down. It can only go one way. Plus, to make
>>> matters worse, the metallic modem part that would slide into the
>>> slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots on the mobo!!!
>>>
>>> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
>>> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago,
>>> everyone said my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with
>>> XP.
>>>
>>> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>>>
>>> http://www.newcominc.com
>>>
>>> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from
>>> Circuit City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>>

>> Sounds like you're trying to install an ISA modem into a PCI slot.
>> The ISA standard slot is a dinosaur now. If you decide to pick up a
>> new PCI modem, you can get a good cheap one under $20. But in your
>> case, I'd probably wait until it's needed.

> Crap! Oh well, you learn something new everyday.
>
> Thanks Roger and FML! I still want to install a modem so I can fax
> directly from my computer though with a program like HotFax or
> WinFaxPro.
>
> At least I got the RAM in ok. It was a pain to install until I
> realized you have to push down very firmly and press the side snaps in
> a little hard to get the sticks to lock in.

Hopefully you didn't short something out. The "pins" (foil pads) that
slide into the slot for ISA are much fatter than the ones for PCI, plus
the PCI has 2 different rows of pads. Sliding in an ISA (actually I
thought PCI was keyed to prevent this but maybe not) into a PCI slot
means the wider pads could touch more than one mating pin in the
connector and short them together.

If you are only interested in receiving faxes, you can open an eFax
account for free. That gives you a fax number (usually non-local) to
which senders can fax you. It then gets sent to you as an e-mail. If
you really need to send faxes, you could also do that online. However,
to send faxes usually means having to pay for it. There is
http://www.tpc.int/ which is basically a bunch of folks that run fax
servers all over the globe. You send your fax to them online (no analog
fax modem is required since you are using the Internet) and their fax
machine sends it out for you. The freebie fax service is obviously not
as reliable as the paid service, and you won't get any support with the
freebie fax service (other than maybe user groups).

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

PC

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is so weird! I was installing some new RAM, and while I had the case
> open, I decided to install a new old stock 56K V.90 internal modem from
> Newcom, which was designed for Windows 95 and 98. I use Windows XP Home
> and have a Dell Dimension 4600i, btw. I want to have a regular dial-up
> modem as a backup (I use cable ISP and have a 10/100 NIC card), and so I
> can fax via my computer.
>
> But when I went to install the modem card in one of my four available
> slots, the modem would not fit! The slots where it would go are all about
> 3/8" away from where the modem would rest once installed!! And yes, I was
> trying to install it the correct way, not backwards or upside down. It can
> only go one way. Plus, to make matters worse, the metallic modem part that
> would slide into the slots on the mobo is about 2" longer than the slots
> on the mobo!!!
>
> What is going on? You are allowed to have only an ethernet card or a
> dial-up modem, but not both?? When I posted here a week ago, everyone said
> my Windows 98 modem would work fine in my Dell with XP.
>
> And when I went to the manufacturer's website:
>
> http://www.newcominc.com
>
> it said the domain name is for sale! I bought the modem new from Circuit
> City in November 1998, on black Saturday.
>
> Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Julie

Offered with the greatest respect:

Buy/borrow/obtain a copy of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller
and read it from cover to cover.

It's not cheap, it's big, heavy and probably boring, but once read you'll be
on top of what can and can't fit in a PC, and why.

Cheers
Paul.

old jon

Sounds a bit like an old ISA modem, they don`t fit in PCI slots..J

news:Wooee.4025$(E-Mail Removed)...