Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Browser Hijack... Help Please!!

Browser Hijack... Help Please!!

Watcher111

Greetings One and All,

My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
get hi-jacked.

The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
no information there to uninstall the malware.

She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.

On an HP Pavillion A305W
Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
256 megs ram
40 gig HD

I have tried the following.....

Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
Adaware SE
Windows Registry Repair Pro
Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
rd wintools

Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
that came with her computer

pcbutts1

All updates have not been run if she is at SP1. Get SP2 and then download
HijackThis, run it and copy and paste the log file back to this group for
analysis. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

"Watcher111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Greetings One and All,
>
> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her
> browser get hi-jacked.
>
> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the
> "Uninstall Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com
> and there is no information there to uninstall the malware.
>
> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.
>
> On an HP Pavillion A305W
> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
> 256 megs ram
> 40 gig HD
>
> I have tried the following.....
>
> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
> Adaware SE
> Windows Registry Repair Pro
> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic
> Pro
> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.*
> and rd wintools
>
> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install
> disks that came with her computer

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Watcher111 wrote:
> Greetings One and All,
>
> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
> get hi-jacked.
>
> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
> Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
> no information there to uninstall the malware.
>
> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.
>
> On an HP Pavillion A305W
> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
> 256 megs ram
> 40 gig HD
>
> I have tried the following.....
>
> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
> Adaware SE
> Windows Registry Repair Pro
> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
> rd wintools
>
> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
> that came with her computer

I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.
Did you intentionally make every mistake you've made on a computer?
Anyway, look at:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofive...hp/t46778.html

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:
> Watcher111 wrote:
>> Greetings One and All,

>> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
>> get hi-jacked.

>> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
>> Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
>> no information there to uninstall the malware.

>> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.

>> On an HP Pavillion A305W
>> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
>> 256 megs ram
>> 40 gig HD

>> I have tried the following.....

>> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
>> Adaware SE
>> Windows Registry Repair Pro
>> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
>> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
>> rd wintools

>> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
>> that came with her computer

> I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>
>>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

> Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

Not my place to referee a domestic squabble, just thought I'd throw in a
little reality check.

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Rgr wrote:

>>>I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

>> Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

> He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
> rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rgr wrote:
>

>>Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>>Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

>>He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone was
>>rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

> I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.

Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?

Blinky the Shark

Rgr wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Rgr wrote:

>>>He threw in the word inadvertently, but wouldn't you agree the tone
>>>was rather condescending about his wife's computer usage?

>> I mostly just heard his frustration in his words.

> Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?

Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with total
strangers.

Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
right out and say it.

Besides, he knows her better than either of us. If he thinks she's
slow/careless/whatever, he's probably right.

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rgr wrote:

>>Funny how we hear things differently in plain text, eh?

> Not really surprising, given the brief encounters like that with total
> strangers.
>
> Also, after three wives (I'm now retired), I'm probably not terribly
> sensitive about people calling theirs dipshits, even when they come
> right out and say it.

Between us we have an even half dozen wives.
--
Once for money, once for love and once to remind him why he should never
have married to begin with.

Chilly Willy

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> was hangin' out in
24hoursupport.helpdesk and figured 5 May 2005 02:37:02 GMT would be a
good time to say:

>Rgr wrote:
>> Watcher111 wrote:
>>> Greetings One and All,

>>> My wife, in her infinite wisdom has inadvertently managed to let her browser
>>> get hi-jacked.

>>> The address bar in IE6 shows "about:blank", when we click on the "Uninstall
>>> Homepage" link we get taken to an address of www.muchsearch.com and there is
>>> no information there to uninstall the malware.

>>> She is running Win XP Pro, SP1, IE6, All updates have been done.

>>> On an HP Pavillion A305W
>>> Intel Celeron 2.7 GHz
>>> 256 megs ram
>>> 40 gig HD

>>> I have tried the following.....

>>> Spy-Bot Search and Destroy
>>> Adaware SE
>>> Windows Registry Repair Pro
>>> Removed all unnecessary files and registry entries with System Mechanic Pro
>>> I also went to C:\ program files\common files\wintools and did a del *.* and
>>> rd wintools

>>> Any help will be greatly appriciated as she can't find her re-install disks
>>> that came with her computer

>> I doubt that your wife intentionally allowed the browser to be hijacked.

>Perhaps that's why he said "inadvertently".

Some folks tend to stop at "infinite wisdom" as it so often implies
truth instead of cold-hearted sarcasm.