Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Download Manager

Download Manager

Phil

I am using Netscape Smart Download as my Download Manager. Have heard that
it has Spyware. If true, could you recommend a Download manager? Thanks.

Phil B.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Thu, 05 May 2005 00:59:23 GMT, "Phil" <PRB14-WN@(spamnono).invalid>
wrote:

|>I am using Netscape Smart Download as my Download Manager. Have heard that
|>it has Spyware. If true, could you recommend a Download manager? Thanks.

You might be wrong about the spyware, but Fresh Download got rave
reviews here recently

http://www.freshdevices.com/

Blinky the Shark

Phil wrote:

> I am using Netscape Smart Download as my Download Manager. Have heard that
> it has Spyware. If true, could you recommend a Download manager? Thanks.

Cite on the spyware content, please.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Phil

Goes back to July 200. Gibson Research and Langa List :
Scroll down to #4

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/2000-07-17.htm#3

If I am basing it on old info and it has been corrected I would like to
be aware of it. Thanks.

Phil .

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Phil wrote:
>
>> I am using Netscape Smart Download as my Download Manager. Have heard
>> that
>> it has Spyware. If true, could you recommend a Download manager?
>> Thanks.

> Cite on the spyware content, please.
>
> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
> Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Blinky the Shark

Phil wrote:

> Goes back to July 200. Gibson Research and Langa List :
> Scroll down to #4

> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/2000-07-17.htm#3

> If I am basing it on old info and it has been corrected I would like to
> be aware of it. Thanks.

> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Phil wrote:

>>> I am using Netscape Smart Download as my Download Manager. Have heard
>>> that
>>> it has Spyware. If true, could you recommend a Download manager?
>>> Thanks.

>> Cite on the spyware content, please.

I remember some grumbling back then (I used to keep in touch with the
GRC forums), but I think that went away nearly that long ago, as well.
It *is* five-year-old news, after all.

Anyone else got more on this?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On 6 May 2005 02:35:21 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

cut and pasted for readability

|>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

|>Phil wrote:
|>
|>> Goes back to July 200. Gibson Research and Langa List :
|>> Scroll down to #4
|>
|>> http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2000/2000-07-17.htm#3
|>
|>> If I am basing it on old info and it has been corrected I would like to
|>> be aware of it. Thanks.

|>I remember some grumbling back then (I used to keep in touch with the
|>GRC forums), but I think that went away nearly that long ago, as well.
|>It *is* five-year-old news, after all.
|>
|>Anyone else got more on this?

Before I posted, I read the TOS at netscape and it look'd good, but
it's got bad karma with GRC and this lawsuit:

The software was available on Netscape's web site as well as from
other free download sites. On Netscape's site, the link to the
browsewrap terms was not visible in the first window view, but only
visible if the user scrolled down the screen further. On non-Netscape
sites, the Smart Download software could be obtained with any links to
the browsewrap contract terms whatsoever. Netscape's site did not
require users to click the browsewrap link. It merely stated, "Please
review and agree to the terms of the Netscape Smart Download software
license agreement before downloading and using the software.
http://www.murdoch.edu.au/elaw/issue...unkel93nf.html
<typo with = without ?>

All the above is old news, but once bit twice shy, just ask Michael
Burford of Getright who screw'd us the same way once and now has to
plead his case. http://www.getright.com/statement.html

chuck

install hijackthis 3 sticks of dynamite its a great program just
tpye in hijackthis....install n do a scan,,its all there 4 u