Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet connection sharing

Internet connection sharing

Chris

Hi all

I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
share the connection to my network.

It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
connection" is unticked after I boot up.

Is there a way to keep it enabled?

Thanks
Chris

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Chris wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
> share the connection to my network.
>
> It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
> users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
> connection" is unticked after I boot up.
>
> Is there a way to keep it enabled?

Same advice as applies to most similar situations, get a router. Cheap,
dependable.

Chris

Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
router?
if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

FML

Chris spewed forth...

> Hi all
>
> I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
> share the connection to my network.
>
> It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
> users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
> connection" is unticked after I boot up.
>
> Is there a way to keep it enabled?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

I hate to sound like a broken record, but why not buy an inexpensive
router and be done with all that ICS crap?

Hmmm, did I just give away my age by using the "broken record" term?
Broken CD just doesn't seem to do the trick

FML

Chris spewed forth...

> Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
> router?
> if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

modem --> router --> network

pcbutts1

"FML" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Chris spewed forth...
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am using Win XP pro with SP2 as my connection to an ADSL modem and
>> share the connection to my network.
>>
>> It does not happen all the time but on most occasions the "Allow other
>> users to connect to the internet through this computers internet
>> connection" is unticked after I boot up.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep it enabled?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chris

> I hate to sound like a broken record, but why not buy an inexpensive
> router and be done with all that ICS crap?
>
> Hmmm, did I just give away my age by using the "broken record" term?
> Broken CD just doesn't seem to do the trick

George

> Chris spewed forth...
>
>> Forgive my ignorance but does the Modem go directly into the the
>> router?
>> if not where does the router sit in relation to the network?

> modem --> router --> network

Although what FML wrote above is totally correct, it may be worth noting
that this implies that you are using an ethernet ADSL modem. Most of
the ADSL modems people use are USB. There are a vast number of routers
with modems combined. All the main companies make them, and they are
also inexpensive. You can also spend a bit more a do things wirelessly.
So to clairify, here is how things will sit:-

PC----|
Router/Modem---->Internet
PC----|

Most routers have 4 ports, but you can add a simple switch or hub if you
want to use more computers

George

Chris

Thanks all I like the Router/modem combo idea so will look into it