Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Posting from Google

Posting from Google

Trooper

How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to, and not
top post. Any ideas guys would be a great help. Cheers

gangle

"Trooper" wrote
> How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to, and not
> top post. Any ideas guys would be a great help. Cheers

WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
Some people will filter out your posts just because they
originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
news servers that would allow you to post directly using
free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
(which I'm using to post this).

Trooper

Gangle wrote:

>WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
>Some people will filter out your posts just because they
>originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
>news servers that would allow you to post directly using
>free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
>(which I'm using to post this).

Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
out a bit amateur.

Paul B.

Trooper wrote:
> Gangle wrote:
>

>>WHY post from Google? It's an idiotic way to use Usenet.
>>Some people will filter out your posts just because they
>>originate at Google. There are extremely inexpensive/free
>>news servers that would allow you to post directly using
>>free software such as Xnews, 40tude, and OE
>>(which I'm using to post this).

> Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
> so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
> out a bit amateur.

I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

p.

mike.easter@gmail.com

Trooper wrote:

> How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to,

- firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
- and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
posting

The googlegroups help place describes it like this:

<GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
reply?

To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at the
bottom.
</GH>

What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

> and not
> top post.

The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default behavior
of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but if
you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
to trim and contextualize the preceding post.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:07:21 GMT, "Paul B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>Trooper wrote:

|>> Well I got this nice gmail email addy and I can use google from any PC,
|>> so I'm trying to see how to use them together. Trouble is it all comes
|>> out a bit amateur.

|>I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
|>impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

--
http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml

Trooper

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Trooper wrote:
>
> > How do I post from Google and include the post I'm replying to,

> - firstoff, I agree that you would be much better off accessing via
> nntp instead of accessing by googlegroups
> - and/but, it /is/ possible to trim and contextualize with google
> posting
>
> The googlegroups help place describes it like this:
>
> <GH> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
> reply?
>
> To quote the previous message in your reply, click the "show options"
> link then the blue "Reply" link at the top of the post. The full text
> of the previous message is included in the composition box and marked
> with angle brackets (>) at the start of each line. You can place your
> comments between lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at

the
> bottom.
> </GH>

Okay, that seems to work.

> What it leaves unstated, but is very important is that you can
> edit/trim the content of what is being cited.

Which I reckon I can do like this.

> > and not
> > top post.

> The issue of top posting isn't even in it, because the default

behavior
> of the replying system is to 'bottom post'.

As I can see, but I asked because nearly every Google post I've seen
always seems to be a top-poster.

> Of course, bottom posting without trimming isn't healthy either, but

if
> you use the show options reply system, you have access to the ability
> to trim and contextualize the preceding post.

Which is good old fashioned snipping I suppose.

What I don't like about Google is that it appears by default to show
the senders IP address. Is there a way round that?

Thanks for the advice, I'm grateful to you. :^)

Paul B.

> On Wed, 04 May 2005 11:07:21 GMT, "Paul B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> |>I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
> |>impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.
>
> The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
> http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

Looks the same to me. Problem is there's no way to expand threads
except to go to the thread page. Very cumbersome. Threads should
either be shown open or be expandable via javascript. But that
would necessitate ignore functions as well. They have a ways to
go, but will probably get there.

One thing they've got, however, is definitive propagation.

p.

Plato

Paul B. wrote:

> I don't mind posting from google too much, but reading there is
> impossible. The message list is completely unworkable.

I know. It used to be fine, then for whatever they changed the format
making it almost unusable, and pratically impossible on a 15 inch
monitor in a lower resolution.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

On Wed, 04 May 2005 13:07:52 GMT, "Paul B." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>> The UK google groups is the old and easier to read format.
|>> http://www.google.co.uk/grphp?hl=en&tab=wg&q=

|>Looks the same to me. Problem is there's no way to expand threads
|>except to go to the thread page. Very cumbersome. Threads should
|>either be shown open or be expandable via javascript. But that
|>would necessitate ignore functions as well. They have a ways to
|>go, but will probably get there.
|>
|>One thing they've got, however, is definitive propagation.

It changed! I no sooner posted the above, when I noticed the beta tag,
and deleted the message hoping nobody would read my blunder

This just changed, I've been using the UK site to read the groups as
it was much easier in all ways. Now it's Beta and just as bad as the
other sites.

--
http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml